2 line jet pump to fill storage tank

Users who are viewing this thread

slowgsr

Reaction score
Hi. Can I use my 2 line jet pump to fill an atmospheric storage tank? 500gal.

I'm unsure if this type of pump can operate without backpressure. I suppose once the pressure tank has water in it, that force would provide some back pressure.

I have a low yield well, and I'd like to fill a storage tank at off peak hydro times, running for maybe a few minutes per hour using a timer setup.

The wiring, float system etc I can figure out easily (I'm an electrician). I've hooked up sewage grinder pumps controls, floats etc in the past. I'm just unsure about the specific pump qualities of a 2 line jet pump.

It's a 3' dia 110ft dig well lined with precast.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
You can. You don't want the tailpiece sucking air, because you don't want to lose prime. Sometimes people use a 35 ft tailpiece, which cannot suck air. That is because the pressure drop in 35 ft is more than atmospheric pressure.

A 1/2 HP submersible with a flow inducer, maybe on its side, would be quieter and more efficient. If you do that, you could use one of the existing pipes as an electrical conduit.

Either way, you probably also want to put in a device that senses the change in current and identifies the pump being out of water. It then shuts off the pump for an interval that you set. Cycle Sensor is one such device. http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/prod_sensor.html Pumptec and Pumpsaver Plus are others.

Last edited:

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Reach did not understand your question.

Yes you can run the 2 line jet pump. It should already have a back pressure valve installed on it. If it doesn’t, you will need to use a valve to keep a minimum bsckpressure on the pump. The reason for this is to send the proper amount of water back down the well to the jet assembly to force the water to the surface.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I suppose once the pressure tank has water in it, that force would provide some back pressure.
Jet pumps use pressure to aid lifting, so just don't let the pressure tank go empty. How do you control the flow now? Use a solenoid valve with the timer and let the pressure switch turn on/off the pump. How do you prevent the well from being sucked dry and the pump losing prime?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You don't need a pressure tank to make a jet pump work. Just adjust the back pressure valve to hold the pressure on the jet as needed. You can run the pump discharge directly to the storage tank and use a float switch to turn the pump on and off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks