2 Houses, 2 Pressure Tanks, 1 pump, 1 controller, 1 pressure switch pro help needed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Minordetails

Reaction score
This thread has gone off on a tangent and the original advise totally ignored. As @valveman mentioned below, two tanks will fill at different rates.

The tanks need to both be near the pressure switch to not "equalize". When far apart with friction loss through long lines and check valves, the pump will shut off when the closest tank is full but the water will then flow out of the first tank to the second tank, dropping the pressure seen at the pressure switch, which then would cause the pump to come on sooner.
If that’s the case, I’m thinking I’ll just go with a bigger tank in house number 1, and not put a tank in the new house. Water will run back and forth in the line between tank and T, but it sounds like that isn’t a problem.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Instead of a larger tank, install a CSV to increase the system performance to both homes, and extend the lifespan of the pump. A larger pressure tank will only reduce cycling whereas a CSV will eliminate cycling even when using a 4.5 gallon pressure tank.

Last edited:

Minordetails

Reaction score
Instead of a larger tank, install a CSV to increase the system performance to both homes, and extend the lifespan of the pump. A larger pressure tank will only reduce cycling whereas a CSV will eliminate cycling even when using a 4.5 gallon pressure tank.

Thanks, and the best place to install the CSV in my system is? Between T and pump?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
First thing out of the well and before the first tee to the other house.

wellstuff2arrow.jpg

Mark Ransom

Reaction score
First thing out of the well and before the first tee to the other house.

View attachment 73506

Valveman,

First - thank you so very much for this forum and the information - I've been getting nothing but bad information from plumbers, electricians, and well people. I'm sorry to ask redundant questions and beat this to death however am I correct that the diagram above does NOT need pressure tank #2 in the new house?

I am also living in an apartment above a garage while building my house across the driveway. The house is 90% done but because of bad information I have an existing 52 gallon pressure tank in the apartment with a 40-60 switch, I just had an 80 gallon pressure tank and another 40-60 switch installed in the house.

Here's the only difference from all the other posts - we have a yard hose (garden hose) line that tees off directly from the pump, so my current setup is:
pump -> tee->line to houses
->line to yard hose (garden hose)

Since I already have the tank installed in the apartment, if I remove the switch, would it negatively affect anything or should I just remove the tank as well?
Do I put a CSV before the tee that splits the line to house and hoses or at the beginning of the line just for the houses?

I would need to bury the CSV - any recommendations for one?

Again, thank you so very much !

Happy New Year!

Mark

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You still need the CSV where I put the red X. You don't need to bury the CSV unless you have all the pipe buried, as the pipe will freeze just as fast as the CSV. With the CSV you can leave both tanks if you want, even though they are a waste of space and money. You just have to set the CSV properly so it doesn't take more than a couple minutes to fill those tanks after all the faucets are closed.

MrGaryBernstein

Reaction score
You still need the CSV where I put the red X. You don't need to bury the CSV unless you have all the pipe buried, as the pipe will freeze just as fast as the CSV. With the CSV you can leave both tanks if you want, even though they are a waste of space and money. You just have to set the CSV properly so it doesn't take more than a couple minutes to fill those tanks after all the faucets are closed.
This is a fantastic source of information. I need to do extactly the same thing; i.e. House #1 fed through tradtional preesure tank/switch and I need water at House #2. From everything I've read a second tank is unnecesary, just a CSV (optional if water not used extensively at House #2). Could someone who has actually done this, with and without the CSV comment on how well it has worked? Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
This is a fantastic source of information. I need to do extactly the same thing; i.e. House #1 fed through tradtional preesure tank/switch and I need water at House #2. From everything I've read a second tank is unnecesary, just a CSV (optional if water not used extensively at House #2). Could someone who has actually done this, with and without the CSV comment on how well it has worked? Thanks.
Works fairly well with one large pressure tank, but works even better with a CSV and you don't need as large of a tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks