2 hot lines to one fixture with check valve

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffT

Reaction score
I have this idea to solve the dilemma of hot water delay vs. volume.

I have a bathroom (sink, toilet, bath/shower) a long way from the water heater. I'll run 3/4" pex for the cold. I'm thinking of running two 1/2" hot lines; one will normally feed the sink, the other will only feed the shower/tub.

But what if I allow the shower/tub to draw from the sink hot line as well? I'll put a check valve between the hot lines that keeps the sink from drawing from the shower/tub feed.

Won't that give me fastest possible hot water for the sink and high hot water volume for showering and filling the tub?

Please debunk this idea before I try it!
Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can run a tub and a lav on a single 1/2" line. That is normally what I do, or you can run the two lines for that. They also make 3/8" PEX is you want to unload the line quicker. Skip the check valve. It's all under pressure anyway.
3/4" for the cold is needed as you are also adding the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks