2 heaters, 1 thermostat in middle

Users who are viewing this thread

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
Current setup has a heater with built in thermostat.
The source goes to heater 1, then a parallel connection to the thermostat and then onto heater 2.

What I want to do is have the thermostat control both and remove the built in thermostat.
I know how to make the connection so that the themrostat controls heater 1 but how do I reconnect heater 2 with the new setup? Do I just parallel wire nut in heater 2 to both lines of the tstat?

1st image is current setup.
2nd image is what I want to do but not sure about 2nd heater.

current.jpg
future.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's not clear to me if the existing thermostat is line voltage, or low-voltage. It appears to be line-voltage, so if you combine two of them, the new thermostat would need to be able to handle the sum of the load. Do you have model number and brand? Have you looked for the installation manual, either stored away at home or on-line?

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
It's line voltage.
I am removing the first thermostat that is built in.
The digital thermostat can handle both, or can handle up to 2300W which is more.
What I'm not sure about is the wiring for the second heater since the setup is now changing a bit. Source currently goes into the digital thermostat junction box bit when I change the source will only go into the first baseboard heater.
Installation manual doesn't list this setup.

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
Also, because the heaters are a tiny bit longer than the old ones, I'm finding the existing wire a bit short.
Can I put a junction box behind the heater and use a wire to bring it to the junction box in the heater so I don't have to replace any existing cable?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Run the power to each of the heaters in parallel from the thermostat as long as you're positive it can handle the load of both of them. You might need an additional box if the contacts in the thermostat are not designed for multiple connectors and/or if there isn't room to daisy chain or combine them in some manner within the envelope of the thermostat/box.

I'm not positive, but a box could work...hassle is, I think code requires access to any box, and if it is covered by the heater, that probably won't work.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're going to have to run new wiring to do what you want. Either a new 2-conductor cable from heater 2 to
heater 1, or else replace the 2-conductor run from heater 1 to t-stat with a 3-conductor cable.

A junction box is considered accessible, even though it requires removal of equipment to access
it. Some baseboard heaters are in fact configured so that such a box can be accessed without
removing the heater.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Also, because the heaters are a tiny bit longer than the old ones, I'm finding the existing wire a bit short.
Can I put a junction box behind the heater and use a wire to bring it to the junction box in the heater so I don't have to replace any existing cable?

To get a few more inches added to a short wire, these will work. These work great especially if the wire from the box is real short and barely any wire to grab onto for a wire nut.

ideal-wire-connectors-wire-terminals-30-1342s-64_145.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-S...PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-202204326-_-203734798-_-N

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks