2" gap between shower drain and pipe below

Users who are viewing this thread

John brown

Reaction score
I recently discovered that there is a two inches gap between my shower drain and pipe below. This is first floor shower on a concrete slab. 1.5 years old construction. What options do I have short of busting up concrete and redo the whole section?

Can I remove top part of drain, and add in the missing 2" section? Pretty bummed out as I just bought the house. Guess previous owner never noticed it as there is no leak and everything seems to work. I only noticed it when I went to clean it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
wingtite_drain.jpg

Wingtite makes a shower drain that installs from above.
http://www.wingtite.com/

Last edited:

John brown

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it. I will upload some pictures once I can get a decent shot and clean it up abit. This is abit dark. It seems I might still need to chip away some concrete. Can't believe that someone would do a job like this.

Attachments

• IMG_20180514_135402.jpg
    IMG_20180514_135402.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 689

John brown

Reaction score
So as an update, I had a plumber come and look at this problem. Turns out there is a bigger coupling that goes all around the drain. What I saw was just glue materials and calcium build up. The drain is perfectly fine the way it was. Not a common setup, but it exist. So no fixing was needed. Thanks for all the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks