1st time water softener owner/install

Users who are viewing this thread

Theodore

Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve never owned or operated a water softener before and just starting to install my system. I have a very tight fit in a basement closet (see photo) and would like some advice:

1. As long as it’s plumbed in the correct series, does it really matter where each component is in relation to the next in terms of operability and accessibility? i.e. Maybe the salt tank goes in middle of other two components for easy access to refill salt?

2. Should I be wrapping each of these components in insulation to prevent them from condensation during summertime? Maybe something like: http://www.homedepot.com/p/E-O-12-in-x-15-ft-Self-Stick-Foam-Foil-Duct-Insulation-FV516/100028603

3. Should I get a drain pan fabricated to put under all three so that any leaks or condensation can be collected?

Advice appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore

Img_5253a.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
1. The tanks can be positioned as you wish. The brine tank could even be in another room. I wonder if there is a little wheeled platform that you could put the brine tank on, so that you could slide it out to access the other two tanks for service.

Maybe install a mirror on the wall behind the controller so that you can see what you are doing if you need to do something behind. Maybe even have the controller face a different dirction

What do you have there? Is that an upflow activated carbon tank in the middle in the photo? That might need service in a few years to replace the media.

2, 3. The condensation measures are not common. I don't think there is room for insulation.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Looks more like a upflow calcite filter. I am not a big fan of that design but it should work ok for a while. Is this installed in an area whre a leak can cause water damage? If so you may want to consider a leak detector/shut off device.

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks more like a upflow calcite filter. I am not a big fan of that design but it should work ok for a while.
Do you think there might be a fill port facing the wall? :rolleyes:

ditttohead

Reaction score
No, the in/out head on this design is removed for filling. The flat top cap is removed and Calcium Carbonate is added.

upload_2017-6-7_19-21-14.png

Reach4

Reaction score
The flat top cap is removed and Calcium Carbonate is added.
Cool.

Theodore, maybe mount a bright flashlight on a stick to occasionally back-light the calcite tank to be able to check the calcite level through the translucent tank.

Theodore

Reaction score
Sorry for not replying sooner. Yes, it's a calcite acid neutralizer (ports are currently facing wall, but nothing's set in stone right now and can be rotated. Yes, I can backlight with a flashlight to check calcite level. It's in a basement and floor will be ceramic tile (after I scarify the paint off the concrete). A leak would make a mess (as usual) but probably noticed quickly.

Also, I really get the feeling I should be wrapping these in some minimal, non-water-absorbing, insulation... online searches for "water softener condensation" show many people complaining about small streams and puddles during summertime.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Not usually a problem but in some areas a simple jacket will help. We stock Neoprene jackets for many of our customers, they seem to be a good solution to this problem. Fairly inexpensive, easy to install, and not too bad looking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks