1st post - having bathroom remodeled. Need plumbing help

Users who are viewing this thread

Elite

Reaction score
Hi guys. Great forum. I need some advice. I am considering doing a remodel and it would require moving the toilet more than a few inches. I have a diagram of the old and new idea. The model with corner shower is the new concert. I would need to move the sanitary more than 90 degrees and back next to the other toilet drain you see (other bathroom). Had lots of different advice. Some say replace stack with PVC and since it's accessible it's not terribly expensive. Some want to tie Into other which I don't believe is kosher. Is this doable.....without spending a gazillion dollars? Option B is a different layout where the toilet moves to the left 3-4 inches and I'm guessing that can be done without a flange but just extending the elbow to reach a few inches. All this will be open since it's a total remodel. I'm hiring professionals so don't worry but not sure how to approach this and watching my pocket book at the same time. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20161121_170842.jpg
    IMG_20161121_170842.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_20161121_170812.jpg
    IMG_20161121_170812.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 230

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As long as you can keep at least the 1/4"/foot slope on a drain line, you can move things where you want. FWIW, cast iron is still the premium piping material but most new stuff uses hubless rather than leading joints. Since it's in the basement, unless you might want to finish that space, plastic pipe is easier to work with, but noisier. Venting the traps may make things a bit more complicated, but it's not easy to see what is there now. Since you're moving and remodeling, the new result must meet current codes.

Elite

Reaction score
So basically it could zig zag, go in circles, or whatever as long as it's sloped properly. The rest is finished as much as I'm going to finish it but what you see will be left unfinished so I can do whatever. Obviously I'll have to check on code issues like you mentioned. Thanks for the input.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The fewer changes of direction the better. I don't understand what you mean by moving the toilet without the flange a few inches. The new location will have a new closet flange. You look to be moving plumbing and walls, so it's becoming a project. You might as well install new shower faucets while it's open.

Elite

Reaction score
Terry. Yes I will be using new shower hardware. I was thinking somebody sprayers but I don't know enough about it to pick out a basic upgrade without going crazy, maybe you can mKe a recommendation. Or maybe not even body but good suggestion for head and separate handle.

Anyway back to the toilet I was talking about those offser flanges that move the toilet a few inches, but I understand I need the standard flange.

I've included a diagram of the current and the new setup. Pitch won't be a problem I have room to pitch it. Current is straight off the stack. The new layout would require a more than 90 degree turn. The end point would go up into the bathroom there. Is that ok?

Attachments

• IMG_20161122_081647.jpg
    IMG_20161122_081647.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 227
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks