1980 house with black stuff around the bathtub drain. I'm putting in a new tub

Users who are viewing this thread

SinnerDC2

DIY infant
Reaction score
2012-01-01_19-57-33_739.jpg

I'm putting in a new tub and over course nothing fits. The problem is the drain centered, but its to low and the overflow is short and needs to move forward. I cleaned the area around the drain and it looks like black glass or epoxy, but from searching the forum I think it might be lead. The house was build in 1980 so it seems a little young for lead.

Here are the drain pics. This if my first venture into non-faucet plumbing.

2012-01-01_19-52-01_624.jpg

2012-01-01_19-52-31_447.jpg

link to bigger pictures
https://picasaweb.google.com/tullostech/GuestBath?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCI3KmO_r-bDKrAE&feat=directlink

It doesnt look very simple to replace the drain. Can I just raise the lower drain with some type of adapter? and raise overflow?

Thanks
Nick

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Unless you are replacing a tub with an identical one, you should always plan to replace the drain and overflow assembly and sometimes the drain line will need to be moved. In an 80's house, I would not expect to find any lead joints.

You are going to need to dig out the joint below that drain shoe and determine what the joint is. Unless it is in concrete, it shouldn't be too tough to make right.

Last edited:

SinnerDC2

DIY infant
Reaction score
ok, i figured the black stuff was lead. I got if off another thead.

what is the black stuff?

2012-01-01_21-02-28_399.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Good question. Looks like someone had some extra roofing mastic they needed to get rid of. Someone's idea of waterproofing maybe?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF your old drain and overflow had fit the new tub, THAT would have been a miracle. You almost ALWAYS have to relocate them, but HOW to do it varies with EVERY installation. Most users would NOT want to reuse the old drain fitting anyway, even if it did fit. That is NOT lead, but I am not sure what it is. It appears to be too "hard" and shiny for roofing cement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks