1970s(?) Kohler/Bradley/Cole Shower Control Leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

JHZR2

Reaction score
My master bath was likely redone in the 70s, perhaps the early 80s. It has all Kohler labeled stuff, but the shower and sink controls are single knob Kohler/Bradley/Cole (I've seen it noted multiple ways) with a plastic valve that requires a flat rubber gasket.

We were away for a long weekend and got home to find our kitchen floor flooded. It was coming from above, and I traced it to this control. It wasn't a solder or threaded joint, but the valve itself.

I stopped the water flow, we have dried most everything out, I cleaned the valve body and put it back together... No leaks!

I've replaced the valve before for noise/low flow, etc., but it has been in service like this for at least two years now. This was a spoof it seems, but why would this happen? The gasket had some fouling on it, but no tears, pinholes, etc. It also seemed a bit dry/oxidized (neither are the right term here id say) but it was soft and pliable.

We did let the house go down to around 50 while we were gone.

I have a replacement kit on order right now. But is there anything I can do to be proactive against such a silly thing? I'm worried we may have ruined our cork kitchen floor and a few cabinets, not to mention a tin ceiling, because of this... And it was fairly minor overall...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Isn't home ownership FUN?

In the future, shut the main when you go away for more than let's say, a day.

JHZR2

Reaction score
Lol, ok, but what kind of practical advice is that?!?

Does anyone know if that type of control is more prone to leakage and issues?

I suppose the best advice might be to get rid of such an antiquated control... But then again, new stuff may be junk...

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"I suppose the best advice might be to get rid of such an antiquated control... But then again, new stuff may be junk..."

You're right. I've had very good luck with Moen Posi Temp valves with a very wide choice of trims. The rough valve runs $55 to $65 and is very dependable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks