1950 Renovation Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

ejg

Reaction score
Renovating a home built in 1950. I marked up part of the original piping draft, attached. This job is in New Mexico under 2012 UPC. Right now, I need to know if I can go from 2" drains to 1 1/2" vents and then back to a 2" vent through the roof. I read somewhere that you can't go from one size then have decrease in size sandwhiched in between.

Also, I was recently informed by a plumber that a 1 1/2" vent doesn't meet the minimum code requirements for a washing machine. Is this true? Maybe the plumber doesn't realize that it ties into a 2" vent going through the roof?

Attachments

• Piping Diagram_Venting Questions.jpg
    Piping Diagram_Venting Questions.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

ejg

Reaction score
Thanks! At the transition where the two 1 1/2 vent branches meet, are these fittings OK? See pics. 2 to 1 1/2 coupling.
61o44uKJsUL._SL1499_.jpg
sc-proflex-main.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The PVC fitting works for the vents. I wouldn't do that one on the waste side.

Those couplings, chosen for the correct pipe sizing will work.

ejg

Reaction score
Problem. The plumber is telling me you cannot decrease then increase the vent size. I really don't get it. So, we have 2" waste for the kitchen sink with a 1 1/2 vent, which ties into a 2" existing galvanized vent going through the roof. I guess the plumber is saying you can't do this, you can't decrease from a 2 waste to a 1 1/2 vent then increase to a 2 vent. Ever heard of this????????

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your plumber is wrong. As you tie more vents together in a building, they can go larger.
As the waste goes down, and gains more fixtures, the pipes get larger.
Inbetween, it's whatever is needed. Tell him to read his code book.

One time in Seattle I had an inspector tell me my vent was too large. I laughed and said,
"Well, I've never heard that one before."

I called the head inspector about what his inspector had told me and he thought it was nuts too.
In some cold areas, they make you increase the vents going through the roof because of frost.
And by the way, the kitchen only needs an 1-1/2" vent, but if you want to increase it to 3", that's okay too.

ejg

Reaction score
Is the following in the UPC 2012? If it is then could this be what the plumber is referring to?

905.4 Roof Termination. Vent pipes shall extend undiminished in size above the roof, or shall be reconnected with a soil or waste vent of proper size.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes that's what I said, undiminished. They can go larger not smaller. It's kind of tough to go smaller than 1-1/2" anyway.

Last edited:

ejg

Reaction score
I get it. Thanks. He doesn't seem to like that area where the 1 1/2 vents meet with a double 1/4 bend going into the existing 2 and especially doesn't like that I want the washer side capped for now; I want to tie into it for a laundry room addition later. He says I can't do a kitchen sink and washer together on a 1 1/2. It's not enough, he says, for both. Is there something in the 2012 UPC I can show him about a sink and washer on a 1 1/2? Is it OK to cap the washer side vent for now, as shown in the drawing attached?

Attachments

• Piping Diagram_Washer Addition_VentCapped.jpg
    Piping Diagram_Washer Addition_VentCapped.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 165

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Some areas require that a "full size" pipe, waste and vent, be installed from the connect to the city sewer all the way to the roof. That is the "undiminshed" way, but the modern codes have modified it so that the total AREAS, (not diameters), of the vent pipes equal the area of the incoming sewer line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks