1924 house complete remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnst66

Reaction score
So I purchased a house in Detroit which was previously a duplex the property was previously vacant an was built in 1924 so it’s it a complete gut an remodel to get the house to code. My girlfriend an I have just finished gutting the house which was plaster an lath through out an cove ceiling. We are at the stage which we are starting to install our rough plumbing an electrical. To start through I’m going to begging with my plumbing questions. So I’ve broken up the concrete in the basement and checked the cast iron pipe which seems intact if not in great condition so my plan is to cut an remove the elbow an bout 4 feet of pipe that was below the slab horizontally. I plan to couple 4” cast to pvc then to a 4” to 3” elbow which would be the main stack following the elbow the stack would go to the ceiling then bend through a long 90 elbow which would continue for about four feet along the ceiling at which point it would go thru a new opening for the main floor bathroom an kitchen sink. The stack would continue up thru the wall which separates the bathroom an kitchen to the semiconductor floor which will have a our primary bathroom an laundry room combo. I’m first focused on the top floor bathroom then transitioning to the main floor bathroom. Both are going to be full bathrooms.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Houses built back then often would not have a vent system that meets current codes. Keep in mind that being overly simplistic, once a pipe becomes a drain, it cannot be used as a vent for things above or ahead of it. So, between floors, you'd have both a drain and a vent. You can join the vents above so you only have one going through the roof if you prefer. There's a bunch of rules that depend on where exactly you live.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks