17yo WH in apt with multiple problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Wow. That flys in Ohio for T&P?
AFAIK, that is the norm in places with cold weather. Maybe multi-units would be different.

The idea of also having a 125 psi relief valve going to a not-floor place sounds really good.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was working for a new construction
Jeff I'm impressed that you got a contract for 300 repairs like that. Someone in management must have wanted to reduce risk.

This landlord has 6 buildings built exactly like this one, so probably 150 units. There's 40 studio apartments in this building. Three floors.

I was working for a plumbing company that did new construction mainly but we picked up this service contract for a large apartment complex. me and 2 other guys spent weeks there . I think they were financing the property and private inspectors noted it or it was insurance requiring.
But anyway I guess I'm kind of picking at this install but it looks poor to me. Its not your property so the main thing for you is safety and personal property.
I don't get a pass often on out of code issues like t and p or drain pans straps or sediment traps.

citydweller3033

Reaction score
I was working for a new construction

I was working for a plumbing company that did new construction mainly but we picked up this service contract for a large apartment complex. me and 2 other guys spent weeks there . I think they were financing the property and private inspectors noted it or it was insurance requiring.
But anyway I guess I'm kind of picking at this install but it looks poor to me. Its not your property so the main thing for you is safety and personal property.
I don't get a pass often on out of code issues like t and p or drain pans straps or sediment traps.

Jeff - insurance companies and financing companies aren't usually well liked, but your story is different... their demand resulted in something helpful for the renters!

Well, this is not in my favor (or, not in the favor of the person who lives here 10-15 years from now when this new WH goes), but tonight I found the relevant Ohio code. See the last part (504.7.2), I bolded the part about the "no drain present" situation being grandfathered. http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4101:3-5

This part requires a pan (but maybe that situation is grandfathered too?)

504.7 Required pan. Where a storage tank-type water heater or a hot water storage tank is installed in a location where water leakage from the tank will cause damage, the tank shall be installed in a galvanized steel pan having a material thickness of not less than 0.0236 inch ( 0.6010 mm) (No. 24 gage), or other pans approved for such use.

504.7.1 Pan size and drain. The pan shall be not less than 1½ inches (38 mm) in depth and shall be of sufficient size and shape to receive all dripping or condensate from the tank or water heater. The pan shall be drained by an indirect waste pipe having a diameter of not less than ¾ inch (19 mm). Piping for safety pan drains shall be of those materials listed in Table 605.4.

This section specifies that they won't require a drain. Surprised to read this.

504.7.2 Pan drain termination. The pan drain shall extend full size and terminate over a suitably located indirect waste receptor or floor drain or extend to the exterior of the building and terminate not less than 6 inches (152 mm) and not more than 24 inches (610 mm) above the adjacent ground surface. Where a pan drain was not previously installed, a pan drain shall not be required for a replacement water heater installation.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jeff - insurance companies and financing companies aren't usually well liked, but your story is different... their demand resulted in something helpful for the renters!

Well, this is not in my favor (or, not in the favor of the person who lives here 10-15 years from now when this new WH goes), but tonight I found the relevant Ohio code. See the last part (504.7.2), I bolded the part about the "no drain present" situation being grandfathered. http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4101:3-5

This part requires a pan (but maybe that situation is grandfathered too?)

This section specifies that they won't require a drain. Surprised to read this.

504.6 sentence 6 tells you about the t and p terminating where injury or damage could result.
some people used to plug off t and p s or not put any pipe to floor. It can be a hardship to bring to code but I don't see exceptions on the t and p.
Interesting that a pan is optional unless previously installed, so even if a pan was easy to install it still wouldn't be necessary in your jurisdiction, or need approval to delete from install.
I guess you'll see what inspector says . I would be required to put a watts 210 gas shut off and a pressure relief valve else where. or figure out a way to comply with code (drain to suitable location)
as a plumbing contractor Id expect to be sued in the case of water damage or injury on an illegal install whether inspector signs card or not I suppose a waiver signed by owner of building or his agent may help

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks