150amp sub panel

Users who are viewing this thread

Joshua5438

Reaction score
A common thing to do is to get a 400A service with (2) 200A service disconnects all in one box, one can service your existing main, and the other can serve your outbuilding.

Cheers, Wayne
I will just have another meter installed on the shop. I currently have a 200amp on the house and a 200amp on the detached garage. What's another going to hurt. Haha. I can install the meter panel on the exterior and the breaker panel on the interior. I will run the feed wires between. Will also install the grounding rod. Anything else that needs to be done for inspection for the meter install?

Norcal01

Reaction score
One thing to consider is the wire bending space required for larger conductors, & must take note of the maximum breaker size the bus stab of the panel is rated for.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I understand it, each meter ends up with a separate customer service charge at least with my utility company...so, your fixed cost may go up for the same amount of power. A subpanel doesn't have recurring extra costs, but not sure how long the break-even point would be based on your pricing structure.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I will just have another meter installed on the shop. I currently have a 200amp on the house and a 200amp on the detached garage. What's another going to hurt. Haha. I can install the meter panel on the exterior and the breaker panel on the interior. I will run the feed wires between. Will also install the grounding rod. Anything else that needs to be done for inspection for the meter install?

Most electric companies will not install a meter unless all work is permitted by a licensed electrician and all inspections passed.

Joshua5438

Reaction score
I have everything lined up for a third meter at my single address. I currently already have two, one on the house and one on a detached garage (was built by a previous owner that started a mold shop). I have been approved for the third meter install. Once my building is up I just have to get the can meter can installed and the power company will run the feed. Once I have the breaker panel installed and pass inspection they will come back and install the meter. Currently my second meter is a flat rate of $26 up to a certain amount used. I am not sure what that amount is as the current garage only has lights, garage doors and a freezer. I rarely exceed the minimal amount. I just wanted to follow up as it's been a while since I posted.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks