Users who are viewing this thread

AnTonC

Reaction score
Hello,

I know variations of the question get asked a lot, but here is my personal situation. I recently moved into a new (used) house with a basement bathroom where the toilet has a 15.5 inch rough-in (house built in 2012), which has almost a 5 inch gap between the tank and the wall. Because it is a basement, the rough-in is in concrete, so moving it is not really a viable option for me. I'm in a small enough town that the local advice and product options available are pretty few. However, I live close enough to a larger city that I can probably get the products and professional installation I need, but I have no clue what to pursue. I've read about 14 inch rough-in toilet models and I've also read about Unifit extenders, and I'm completely confused. For instance, can a unifit be used in conjunction with a 14 inch model toilet? Would that mean I'd reduce the distance by 4 inches vs. 2 inches? If any of you can provide some good recommendations (in layman terms) for solutions (toilet brands, models, whatever) to my major gap behind my toilet, I'd be so grateful!

Reach4

Reaction score
A Unifit adapter only works with certain Toto toilets. Those come with a 12 inch Unifit, and can accept a 10 or a 14 to replace the 12. So your question about adding a Unifit to a 14 inch toilet does not compute.

A toilet with a 14 inch unifit installed normally would leave about a 2.25 inch gap with a 15.5 inch rough. You could reduce that further with the technique I used for my 13+ inch rough where I used a 12 inch Unifit.

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...baseboard-and-shoe-molding.58080/#post-428138 my unifit mod post

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...nifit-or-stick-with-the-12.59681/#post-442544 picture with ruler.

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...rance-with-14-unifit-and-offset-flange.66596/ has marked-up unifit photo.

You could consider adding a wall with some foam insulation to that wall, making good use of that space. Then you could use a 12 inch rough toilet, and save heating costs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A 14" RI toilet (except for the Totos that use the Unifit), often just end up with a thicker tank to fill in the space. The Toto with Unifit doesn't stick further out into the room...it would sit exactly in the same place if the RI was 10, 12, or 14", assuming those RI were accurate. So, a Toto with a 14" Unifit would likely also give you a bunch more room in front of the toilet as well as fill part of the gap.

If you had the flange replaced, you could get any 12" toilet. How easy or hard that would be depends on how and where the drain runs under the slab.

Reaction score
It sounds like someone designed the rough in for a wood stud wall in front of the concrete that never got installed. It may be a cheaper option to install one and insulate the wall if you have enough room in the bathroom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks