12v Landscape Wire through a wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYer101

Reaction score
I'm doing a small lighting project. I'd like to mount a 12v DC fence light on the wall of my garage and run landscape wire through the wall into the garage for power.

The transformer is in the garage (it's an indoor transformer). The garage does not have any wall covering such as sheetrock. So... the wire will never be "concealed" as it goes from the transformer to the light fixture - but it will go through the garage wall.

The garage is stucco.

Any problem just drilling a hole, pushing standard landscape wire through it, and sealing up the hole considering:
1) it's 12v?
2) the wire will always be visible?

I guess the alternative is to put a junction box on the exterior of the garage and switch from NM to landscape wire in the box, but that seems like overkill, and then I'd have other issues to contend with.

Thank you

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think you have any code issues with just poking a hole and running the low-voltage DC wire through. I'd probably silicon the hole after install, and make a drip loop to help keep moisture from trying to go into the wall. You might also slope the hole slightly down towards the outside to help in that as well...doesn't take much slope to help prevent moisture from flowing in - standard drains are only a couple of degrees.

DIYer101

Reaction score
Thanks Jim, that is the idea - to just poke it through, and then it's all unfinished garage on the inside (maybe 6 feet to the transformer).

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It would be more professional to come up in conduit and use an LB to turn into the wall, and then seal around the penetration with duct seal.

BobT3354

Reaction score
I also am NOT an electrician and call one for ANY AC wiring for liability reasons, BUT I'm well versed in low voltage landscape lighting and agree with the idea of running pipe here, as even direct burial rated wire may or may not be in wall rated as far as I know and I'm linking to a UL pdf that does take a bit of time to get through, but explains a lot on wire classifications and how they're marked then on the actual wire.

http://www.ul.com/global/documents/...ctrical/newsletters/W&CMG_April2007_Final.pdf

I have a much simpler question for you first, why in the world don't you just get an outdoor (or indoor/outdoor) rated transformer and skip this whole deal about cutting a hole in the exterior of your home, which some people say just for the roof to avoid whenever possible, but others like me include the sides of the home too, running pipe which yes sure as hell looks better than a bare wire just popping out of the side of your home, which looks just downright bad, but I'd try to keep as few "mechanical related" holes and stuff crawling up the side of your home as you can and you're already stuck with electrical service and probably a few more, why add to that when depending on what kind of wattage were talking here and if you need a multi-tap transformer if there are any longer runs involved, but if you just need 12 volts they're cheap these days and Lowes had a 600 watt multi tap, just with one 12v and one 14v for each 300w trans on sale a week ago for $65, not like the pro models I needed for 2.5 acres that went up to 22v, but for a "small" project and especially if you use LED fixtures (GET LEDs!!!!!-fraction of the wattage, WAAYYY less voltage drop issues which even in a little daisy chain of like 6 or 8 lights will probably leave you with the end ones being noticeably dimmer and lastly, unless you enjoy changing bulbs, it sucks!) for a small setup using LEDs you can get the outdoor rated one for under $100 for sure, even under $50 sometimes!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks