12 year old Water heater is leaking. unusual leak

Users who are viewing this thread

cirillo

Reaction score
Hello.

We have a Bradford White water heater that was professionally installed in April 2009. Just tonight I noticed some water on the floor next to the WH. I traced it to the pressure relief valve. However, it's not the valve leaking. The water is leaking from around the valve body where it exits the tank. You can see a very small but constant trickle of water emerging from just under the valve which then flows down the side of the WH.

The valve itself looks to be in good condition with no corrosion or other issues. It functions normally when using the manual lever. Overall the WH itself seems to be in generally good condition otherwise.

Does the WH need to be replaced? Should we replace it? Or could a professional do something to fix the leak from around the valve area? Any insights or advice appreciated.

Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There aren't many plumbers that would want to work on a leaking water heater that is 12 years old and promise that the repair would last.
Twelve years is a long time in water heater years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks