12" rough-in is 11.5"

Users who are viewing this thread

GBH

Reaction score
At my father's house and the tank cracked on one of the toilets. It is a 12" rough-in, but tile on the wall has made it 11.5" The toilet that is in place now (the one that just cracked) touches the wall. The lid sits properly on the tank best I can tell. The cracked toilet was installed about 30 years ago, so the tight fit doesn't seem to be a deal breaker. Terrible toilet BTW. I'd like to replace with a Cadet 3, 2-piece, 1.28 GPF. I was pondering getting one for a 10" rough-in, but I can't decide if no gap is better or worse than a larger gap.

I'm curious what others might do in this situation? Is there a good functioning toilet that would fit this situation well?

Thank you,
Gary

IMG_0198[1].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there a good functioning toilet that would fit this situation well?
The great majority of 12 inch rough toilets would fit that situation. When you install, there is a bit of adjust-ability. You are more likely want to push it closer to the wall than pulling it farther from the wall, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dgeist

Reaction score
There are also some offset closet flanges that may allow you to "cheat" the location of the rough-in a bit. Have you pulled the toilet and checked underneath?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
All new 12" toilets will install at 11-1/2"
Some even at 10-7/8" like the TOTO Drake CST744S
A Cadet 3 will work there.
I would never bother with an offset flange. I've never needed to to that for a replacement toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks