12 1/2" toilet rough-in location on top of a joist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
1st time poster here. I'm remodeling a bathroom and the 12 1/2" rough-in location for my toilet is dead-centered on a 2x8 joist that runs parallel to the same wall the toilet is set back against. Unless I'm missing something, going with a 10" or 14" rough-in toilet would still clip that same joist. I've racked my brain looking for answers and would appreciate any input!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most likely it will need to be boxed out and floor joists doubled.
A 2x8 is too small to drill through for a 3" drain.

index.php

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe a 10" rough-in with a 45 flange or an offset flange? You'd have to look closely at the dimensions to see how much they would interfere with the existing joist, and check the notching rules for joists.

The other option if you have access, or are willing to make access, is to sister the joist on one side or the other, along with a 10" or 14" rough-in. Certainly if you can run an unnotched sister from support to support, and it's just a regular common joist, you can hack up the existing joist as required.

Cheers, Wayne

Reaction score

Attachments

• 20220816_195219.jpg
    20220816_195219.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 170

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think your idea could work except that I'd have to cut a hole through the 2x8 header portion of the framing that's big enough for my 3" toilet drain pipe. Is that doable?
How far parallel to the joist do you need to travel before dropping down? If it's just a few feet, you could make the box out larger so you don't have to go through the header. Otherwise, it's iffy at best.

If a 3" deep x 5" notch in one 2x8 would suffice, you could look at this:

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks