115v 2 wire well pump with 2 blacks and a green

Users who are viewing this thread

mroth_3

Reaction score
Hello! I bought a red lion well pump. 115V, 2 wire. I also bough a red lion pressure switch. the pump has 2 blacks and a green. The two blacks are identical looking. I was expecting a black and a white. Can anybody provide me information on how to tell which black wire should be used as the neutral? Does it not matter?

If I cant figure it out, I'm going to run the hot from the panel to the pressure switch to one of the black leads on the pump. Then connect the neutral to the other black one (not run through the pressure switch). And hope for the best. I dont think there is any reason to run the neutral through the pressure switch since it is just a contactor to interrupt the power. I'm not extremely tech savy so I'm going out on a limb here.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Green is for ground obviously, the other two it doesn't matter which goes to power or to neutral.

I always interrupt both lines with the pressure switch.

mroth_3

Reaction score
Green is for ground obviously, the other two it doesn't matter which goes to power or to neutral.

I always interrupt both lines with the pressure switch.

Thank you so much for the reply! I sort of was wondering if it didn't matter. Do I HAVE to interrupt both lines with the pressure switch? I was hoping to put an outlet next to the well so I installed 10-3 w/ ground. If I interrupt the neutral that cant happen.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
YOU can do it anyway you want, but I always interrupt both lines. Plus it might be code to do so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks