115 volts or 220 volts to well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Yeah you want the breaker to trip. Due to the newest code my guess is you'll have that on all wells in another 25-50 years.

Art 250 has been around for a long time, get over it... you just cannot comprehend the logic of it...

In the mean time... Most if not all well owners will know when there is an electrical short to ground or other problems in there submersible pump well system because they won't have any water.

Are you that stubborn? Who says a ground fault is going to cause a lose of water? The breaker is certainly not going to trip.

Anyone working on any electrical system should know to turn the power off before working on it and especially a submersible well pump.

I would hope so.

Last edited:

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
ummm so tell me, if your "ground fault" doesn't cause a noticeable problem along the lines of no water, what IYO would?

How much experience do you have troubleshooting water well pumps?

You dont understand grounding and bonding, I tried teaching you, you refuse to listen, nothing else I can do for you. If you actually just listened to me instead of getting defensive because I commented about a dangerous situation, we both could have learned something, but its a two way street. and you live on a one way road.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
GFCI circuts detect leakage to ground, not leakage to neutral. You can dead short a gfci across the hot and nuetral and never trip the gfci circut.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You dont understand grounding and bonding, I tried teaching you, you refuse to listen, nothing else I can do for you. If you actually just listened to me instead of getting defensive because I commented about a dangerous situation, we both could have learned something, but its a two way street. and you live on a one way road.
All you've done since you showed up here accusing me of killing someone is to portray yourself as all knowledgeable while personally attacking and quoting scripture from the latest version of THE CODE.

I think the next submersible pump water system you do any electrical troubleshooting on will be your first. And don't do as illustrated in those cartoons you posted; take an experienced pump guy or driller with you to supervise.

An observation, the way you go on about "SCARY" says you may not show up if you were 'invited' out on a call. But I think you really need more hands on field work and to learn to listen; I was talking about an existing 2 wire pump, not new construction.

BTW, I do know the difference between grounding and bonding. And I also know that existing 2 wire sub pumps do not have or require either, and I've known about the new codes requiring grounding to the well casing and requiring all submersibles to be grounded. But I don't recall anything about bonding either of them.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Ground wires on submersible pumps are a very recent addition. For 50 years before the addition of the ground wire, I do not know of anyone who was electrocuted because of it. I also know of a lot of submersibles that show a ground fault, and continue to run. Of course they would not still be running if they were connected to a GFCI. Gary's stubbornness comes from the fact that he knows full well that a submersible may run many years after showing a ground fault. You just need a breaker that won't trip on ground fault.

How you ground a cistern with a submersible pump is another story but, if you want a dependable supply of water, don't use a GFCI.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yep, but once again the old Liability issue rears it's ugly head. If you by pass it and the one in a million circumstance happens, wooops there goes your house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks