10" Toilet Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Maymay

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to replace my toilet, but the selection is so limited for a 10" rough-in.
After reading so many good reviews of Toto, I had wanted to get one, but the only ones available with a Unifit adapter are the skirted models that require more room in the back than I have - my shut valve would need to be moved to accomodate one, which is too much work.

Can anyone suggest a good 10" toilet for me?

Thank you!

Spokaneman

Reaction score
Are you sure that you could not soldier (or have a plumber soldier) a 90 degree elbow on the stub and then put the valve on sideways? It would be mostly hidden by the skirting of the Toto.

I am so sold on Toto's that I would go to some length to be able to use them.

Last edited by a moderator:

dm15441

Reaction score

I took pictures of my toilet to show a plumber and he said there's no way we can fit the Toto in there. Any other suggestions for a toilet?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's almost always a way, you may not want to spend that much, though:) .

Post a picture here, maybe a different plumber may have some useful opinion. Scroll down when posting to manage attachments and upload one. You have to convert the resolution down to fit the size requirments first, though.

Maymay

Reaction score
Picture to Come

Ok, I'll post a picture of my bathroom tonight to see if people have ideas on how to squeeze the Vespin in. Thanks all.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Maymay my plumber bristled and charged me a little more to install my Toto Aquia. In the end I think it was worth it. I feel like I traded *up* from what we commonly see on the market.

good luck..

Mike

Maymay

Reaction score
Please Advise

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies thus far. I've attached a picture of my bathroom, so that maybe another plumber or someone with a similar experience can advise me how best to fit a skirted Toto in.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• DSCN0954-small.jpg
    DSCN0954-small.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 358

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toto wants their shutoff valve 8" to the left of the centerline of the toilet. "Standard" toilets use 5.5". It looks like your may be more than standard. On the Toto spec sheet, it looks like there is maybe a little slop - maybe an inch or so, and depending on the height of the valve, maybe more (the toilet tapers in). Either way, it looks like it might just fit as is, or if not, then putting a 90 fitting on the shutoff probably would work, too. It didn't look like there was tile on the wall, so if you are willing to open that up and then repair, the line could be moved as well if it doesn't fit as is. Measure and see where your valve is now in relation to the centerline of the toilet and a more definitive answer can be given.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
7" center to center works for the water supply on the skirted models.

If you don't have that, then a 90 el will move it.

Most new 12" rough toilets will work at 11-1/4" from the wall for the roughin.
Some, like the Toto Drake, will work at 11".

cst474_side.jpg

Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
This bowl was installed on a 13-1/2" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.
The water shutoff can be as close as 5-1/2" to the left of center, unless it's higher off the floor, and then it can be even closer to center.
This shutoff had been replaced with a new 1/4 turn valve with brass nipple through the wall.
Installation was by James Love of Love Plumbing & Remodel 206-949-5683
In some of the older Seattle homes, the old toilets had been wall mounted tank toilets.
Those typically are 14" rough-in and need a flange repair to use standard closet bolt connections at the flange.
Everything is on the truck for that.
The Vespin comes with a standard 12" adapter or you can order a 10" or 14" adapter depending on your rough-in distance.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks