10-Inch Rough-In

Users who are viewing this thread

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Agreed. The path-flattening happens on the version that goes into the floor rough-in, which is an option. Also there's a version that drains pretty much like an in-wall-carrier would...

NoviceRenovator

Reaction score
Thanks again - but I'm still a little confused. The Geberit is just over 4 inches and the Toto Aquia wall mount is just over 21 inches - so this would be great if I can do it. But here's where my lack of experience and overall understanding gets in the way: right now the bathroom has been demo'd - so all that I can see is the rough-in in the floor that's 10 inches away from the back wall. Given that location of the rough-in (on the floor), is it possible to use the Geberit in combination with the wall hung Aquia - or is a wall hung not an option? Thanks again.

Reach4

Reaction score
I see the problem... http://www.geberitnorthamerica.com/...it_monolith_9/for_toilets_8/131_145_sg_1.html If you use a wall-hung toilet on the monolith, it will not conceal the closet flange on the floor. huge1.png Maybe your designer could come up with something nice to conceal that? Doubtful.

If you go with this http://www.geberitnorthamerica.com/...oilets_2/geberit_monolith_6/131_144_sf_1.html which includes a skirted toilet with a back output, you are at 28-1/2 inches into the room (about like a Toto Unifit). huge2.png

Maybe they could recommend a shorter skirted toilet to attach to their monolith.

NoviceRenovator

Reaction score
Reach4, I actually called Geberit after seeing your diagrams - and they were extremely helpful. The skirted toilet is not an option because the Duravit Starck 3 is the only one that hooks into the monolith (at least for now) and that totals, as the diagram indicates, 28 1/2 inches. The top diagram is actually a possibility. Geberit has dozens of wall mount toilets, as you can see here: http://www.geberitnorthamerica.com/media/local_media/_imported/brochures/GNA7157.pdf It's very user friendly, as it shows the length of the toilets. Several are around 19 inches which, when added to the monolith (which is just over 4 inches), you end up at just over 23 inches - pretty great. The only issue is in re-routing from the floor (as shown in your upper diagram) - and that might require going a few inches into the wall (which I'm not sure that I can do, so I'll check with my designer). If it's doable, then this is the way to go. Thanks for telling me about this!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I see the problem... http://www.geberitnorthamerica.com/...it_monolith_9/for_toilets_8/131_145_sg_1.html If you use a wall-hung toilet on the monolith, it will not conceal the closet flange on the floor. View attachment 23378 Maybe your designer could come up with something nice to conceal that? Doubtful.

If you go with this http://www.geberitnorthamerica.com/...oilets_2/geberit_monolith_6/131_144_sf_1.html which includes a skirted toilet with a back output, you are at 28-1/2 inches into the room (about like a Toto Unifit). View attachment 23379

Maybe they could recommend a shorter skirted toilet to attach to their monolith.

There are two versions of the Monolith. One that uses a floor flange and one that does not. The Toto Aquia bowl and Maris bowl will also fit on the Monolith and both are very nice looking and perform well.

Reach4

Reaction score
The only issue is in re-routing from the floor (as shown in your upper diagram) - and that might require going a few inches into the wall (which I'm not sure that I can do, so I'll check with my designer). If it's doable, then this is the way to go. Thanks for telling me about this!

"Re-routing from the floor"? I don't know what that would mean. But if it fits, that's good.

NoviceRenovator

Reaction score
wjcandee, I'm looking for the Toto Aquia and Maris that you're referring to. If I'm understanding correctly, you mean the Aquia and Maris that sits on the floor, not a wall hung version, correct? Thanks.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
No, I was referring to the wall-hung Aquia, CT418F, which looks like this:
CT418FG_zoom.jpg

and the wall-hung Maris, CT486FG, which looks like this:
CT486FG_main.jpg

Both will hang on the version of the Geberit Monolith that takes wall-hungs. (A lot of people install them with Geberit in-wall tanks and a lot install them with Toto in-wall tanks; if you want to install the "in-wall tank" in front of your unit's wall rather than in it, that's the purpose of the Monolith.)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks, HJ. We're completely stuck, in that this is in a condo that won't allow anyone to move the piping. So it sits 10 inches from the wall - and we can't move the wall back or the piping forward. There are 400 other apartments in the building, so the only option is a toilet that will fit in the space (and we can't do a wall mount). Many thanks.

No always the case. many times there is some wiggle room.

You can hook up some fire rated PVC to this line and use an off set toilet flange. You might need to fail a little concrete from one side of the rough hole and remove the fire stopping to make room. Then re-install the fire stopping.

NoviceRenovator

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help out. You gave me some very interesting ideas to check into and my designer and I made numerous calls to see if any of your suggestions would work. At the end of the day, we've decided to go with the Toto Aquia. It's one of the few stylish toilets (with a side skirt) that actually comes with a 10-inch rough-in. The Toto models that utilize Unifit are probably a little nicer, but the Aquia is 27 1/2 inches and the Toto Legato and others that take the Unifit are about an inch deeper - and with a 48 inch deep bathroom every inch counts. It's too bad that Duravit and Villeroy & Boch don't offer more options for smaller bathrooms. The Villeroy & Boch Twist would have been great at around 25 1/2 inches deep, but it only comes in a 12-inch rough-in. I still have a couple of weeks before I actually have to buy the toilet, so if you come up with any other thoughts please let me know. And, again, I truly appreciate the time that everyone took to respond. Many thanks.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
So at 12", it's about the same as the Aquia as far as wall to end of bowl?
You would have more space behind the tank, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Oooh...Terry must be tired. If she has a 10" rough in, she can't put a 12" rough toilet on there. It won't fit. If she had a 14" rough in, she could use a 12 with space behind the tank.

But I'm thinking maybe I'm misunderstanding sometjing....bc Terry is always right... :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks