10 gallon water heater. Electrician coming soon to hook it up

Users who are viewing this thread

Curious Skip

Reaction score
To the best of my ability, I have installed this 10 gal water heater in my basement, to serve my kitchen and a half bath. I would like to know beforehand if there is anything visible here that would raise a red flag, or is there anything I could (should) do differently. I've reworked the copper plumbing twice, based on what I've learned here.

The water connections aren't completed yet. I am going to hook it up a day before the electrician comes because I will be without hot water in the kitchen after I break into the existing lines.

waterheater2.jpg

waterheater1.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
there anything I could (should) do differently.
It looks like you have one or two galvanized nipples and a galvanized tee. The next time you install a WH, don't do that. Use brass or stainless.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We normally daylight the end of the T&P drain six inches above, but that's all I see for East Coast plumbing. West Coast in earthquake country gets water heater straps.
It does look nice and clean.

Curious Skip

Reaction score
It looks like you have one or two galvanized nipples and a galvanized tee. The next time you install a WH, don't do that. Use brass or stainless.

Not too late to change. I think the nipples in the heater are galvanized, or would they be stainless? I have dielectric unions between the galvanized and copper, thinking that was all I needed.

This is likely the last WH I will ever install, but I would like to do this one the right way.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not too late to change. I think the nipples in the heater are galvanized, or would they be stainless? I have dielectric unions between the galvanized and copper, thinking that was all I needed.
The galvanized dialectric nipples have a plastic liner inside. Those are OK.

The tee will add rust to your water if that is galvanized. The dialectric nipples, I don't know . Maybe those are plastic lined to.

Curious Skip

Reaction score
The galvanized dialectric nipples have a plastic liner inside. Those are OK.

The tee will add rust to your water if that is galvanized. The dialectric nipples, I don't know . Maybe those are plastic lined to.

Rust....well, dang, I suppose so. I was trying to stop galvanic corrosion between copper and galvanized. Those unions do have a plastic sleeve that isolates dissimilar metals.

Here's the video I found that sent me in this direction:

Phog

Reaction score
If you use a brass fitting as a transition between copper pipe & steel, it has an effect similar to a dielectric union. Brass is compatible with both steel and copper for the purposes of plumbing use. It's the copper to steel union that can give problems (why you correctly used a dielectric union).

It's not common to use galvanized fittings in domestic water plumbing anymore. There's so many much better options now -- copper, brass, and plastic (such as PEX or CPVC). That said, what you have there looks very conscientiously done, and will work just fine for the life of the water heater.

You may get a little rust in the water sometime in the future, or you may not. It really depends on your water. (You may also get rust from the steel nipples in the water heater tank someday down the line, or not -- just to put things in perspective).

Curious Skip

Reaction score
Thanks to all who offered advice. I listened, and this morning I changed things up again. Brass instead of galvanized, shortened the T&P drain, and then I plumbed up the water. No leaks!

waterheater4.jpg

Phog

Reaction score
Looks good, make sure you fill the tank 100% all the way with water before you turn the breaker on & you should be set to go.

Curious Skip

Reaction score
My electrician came today! Job's done...we have hot water at the kitchen sink in about 5 seconds, where we had to wait 30 or more before. (every time we needed hot water....we would often just leave it running because it would cool as soon as we stopped it) My wife is very happy!

The electrician walked into the basement this morning, looked at the plumbing, and said, "nobody does that anymore. Who did you get to plumb that?" I told him I did it. He said, "You did it". I said yeah, he said "you did that?". He stayed all day here, doing jobs that I had saved up for. He quoted electrical codes, showed me all the things wrong with my house wiring. I enjoyed it, and I think he did too.

I spent my entire career doing things as good as I possibly could, pissing off my employers, who also recognized that I was saving them money in the long run. I feel that if a job is worth doing, it's worth doing right. This guy apparently thinks like I do. Again, thanks to those that offered advice here!

waterheater5.jpg

CharlottaOkoren

Reaction score
You are lucky with the electrician. A couple of times I've dealt with guys who were annoyed by the fact that I also understand something in this matter. For some reason, people rarely know how to tolerate another smart guy with them. And if you and the electrician both understand something in plumbing, this is generally a disaster, haha. Although the smart Cheltenham Electrician came to see me last month, he was the one who gave me the same advice as the guys on this forum. I also used brass after his remarks, and now everything works great.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks