10 3/4 rough in?

Users who are viewing this thread

JSC

Reaction score
The photo indicates a 10 3/4 rough in, taking into account the 1/4 inch baseboard. Is that possible, or was this toilet made to fit on what is really a 10 inch rough in? The toilet is ancient, from 1973 (can't locate model or brand), and there is no gap between the wall and the tank. Bathroom is getting remodeled and I need to make sure I understand the rough-in requirements. Thanks for your help!

IMG_2336.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Toilets from 1973 normally didn't have much of a gap at all behind the tank. They started to add more space in the 80's when wainscoting became a thing.
Most new toilets will need at least 11.25" from the back wall for a 12" rough toilet.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont think its a 12 inch rough or tank wouldnt be against wall with 10.5 inch rough. check it good when you demo

Reach4

Reaction score
There is some slop that lets you "cheat" the toilet farther or closer to the wall once you are putting it down.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you want to be able to adjust to different roughs, and are willing to add some non-standard holes, a Toto Unifit toilet can be used.

What I did:
Initially, using the bolt method, I thought I had a 13-7/16 rough.

showed what I did...

It turned out that my rough was less than I initially thought based on external bolt measurements. The bolts were not in long slots which would have provided some easy adjustability; they were in side slots. The bolts were not the exact same distance to the wall.

has marked-up unifit photo showing the concept. The drywall screws (green arrows) would not have been necessary. I do overkill at times.

JSC

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your responses! The pickings are slim for 10 inch rough-in for a small bathroom, and given my toilet depth requirements it seems the American Standard Cadet Pro Round is my best option. I also came across the Signature Hardware Bradenton 10 inch. Not sure about the Signature Hardware brand, so any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a total newbie at plumbing issues, but love reading this forum and have learned so much. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks