1” or 1.25” valve - conflicting info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Skisierras

Reaction score
Hi, the water line in my house is 1.25” after the pressure regulator (Larger from the street). For what it’s worth, the water heater is 1”. The house has 4.5 bathrooms. 2 people unless we have guest.

I’m planning to buy go with a clack softener. My understanding from UPC is that I should use a clack ws1.25. However all companies I have talked with are trying to sell me a clack ws1 and just say to use adapters to the 1.25”. This includes full turnkey suppliers as well as those that will sell the system for me to install.

Am I missing something? Is 1” ok to use since we primarily have 2 people in the house and flow through 1” system is high enough albeit may not meet code?

Thank you.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
All of the softeners I've installed were 1". Do they make a 1.25"? If they do and you have 1.25" piping I would prefer to use that.

Having a 1" softener won't necessarily be out of compliance with code for sizing water pipe as long as it's pressure drop is in accordance with the sizing used for the piping. Meaning as long as the softener can deliver the amount of water each fixture needs and it's pressure drop doesn't affect the pipe sizing then it's in compliance.

Reach4

Reaction score
IMO, if the pipe out of the softener is 1 inch, I see no advantage to having a 1.25 softener. Yet California code can reasonably be interpreted to call for the 1.25.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks