1 inch pipe through header

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven JP

Reaction score
Im moving this water heater to the other side of the attic and I am wondering whether I can take the two 1 inch pipes through these three 2 by 8s that connect all these joists. I'm not sure what the term for it is. I want to call it a header but there is no support underneath it. It is one big room underneath so this is here to span the joists all the way across. Im guessing it's not a problem but I want to make sure since this is a very integral part of the floor. I know the rules for drilling through joists and obviously in that case I would be more than fine but not sure if this is different.

Attachments

• 20200111_150400.jpg
    20200111_150400.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I know this is not what you asked, but note that an attic water heater should have a vacuum breaker.

Steven JP

Reaction score
I know this is not what you asked, but note that an attic water heater should have a vacuum breaker.

Yeah it does and still will but that's actually something else I was wondering about. Right now it goes all the way down to my crawlspace and ends there. In my opinion that's a bad place for it since if it failed it or something I would not know. I can run it through those 3 2 by 8s and have it the same as it always was or I could make it so it exits out the soffit. I feel like exiting out the soffit is alot better option because I'll notice it and I wont have water in my crawlspace.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
To answer your question: the 3 members are joists.
You can bore a hole up to 1/3 the depth of the joist, in the center of the joist and 2" away from the top and the bottom of the joist.
In your case 1/3x7-1/2" = approx 2-1/2".
1" holes will be fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks