1 inch Orbit Jar top valve leaking internally

Users who are viewing this thread

Sonic_loser

Reaction score
I've got 3 orbit jar top valves leaking internally and don't know how to get them to stop. I've replaced the diaphragms and cleaned the bodies and everything looks good. All 3 are on the same manifold and all are leaking. The flow is small, not enough to get the sprinklers to pop up.

Could the solenoids be bad? I replaced a solenoid with a old one I had but it still leaked. Are the springs weak? Is it just coincidence all 3 are leaking? Could it be freeze damage from the winter? Nothing is leaking externally.

I've got 3 more on another manifold, no leaks at all.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I have switched all my irrigation valves to have unions on both inlet and outlet. And leave enough room to add degree elbow dog legs above the unions.
Too bad most mfrs do not have similar centerlines.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
How much of a leak is there on all three. Are the sprinklers weeping? Can you hear water moving through the valve?

With the solenoid fully threaded in and tighten by hand only, the valve should not be flowing any water. Just a slight CCW 1/4 turn the valve will open. It is usually all on or all off, anything less would usually be the diaphragm but since you replaced them it is also a mystery to me. Since it never freezes in Florida I don't know if a freeze could affect the spring. Remove the solenoid and get a real close look at the threads that the socket is not cracked in anyway that might prevent the solenoid to fully seat. If you look at the video, water could have froze below the solenoid and there could be an internal crack.

Sonic_loser

Reaction score
Thanks Worthflorida for your reply, on closer inspection all three valves had hairline cracks and were leaking from there. I guess I didn't winterize them properly last year, oops, hehe. Switched them all out and now no leaks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If there is a slope or a low spot on each zone, at the lowest point add a spigot under ground in a irrigation box so it can be opened to allow the system to drain by gravity. An air compressor also needs to be used for best result. I’m glad the dogs was over help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks