1" below floor flange, double wax seal help

Users who are viewing this thread

cashchow

Reaction score
Hi all,

Found out our toilet was having an extremely low leak causing peeling paint so we lifted it and found the original installer had used two poorly installed flange spacers and a too short wax ring. Lots of gross mess to clean up but here's the issue:
flange.jpg

The flange is now just over 1 inch below the tile floor. I think I need to use two wax rings to seal this up right after I siliconed in some drilled holes from the previous spacer install. Spacers wont work as you can see they drilled screws in all sorts of places to get it screwed down, however there is tiling material in the way (right side of the photo) so spacers are all off kiltered (causing the leak I think).

I'm going to get this extra tall wax seal with flange:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/fl...-gasket-with-plastic-flange-sleeve/1001141463

And I have already a standard wax ring:
https://www.homehardware.ca/en/wax-toilet-gasket/p/3277830

In what order would I use these rings, and where would I place them?
1.) Thick ring with sleeve on the floor, normal ring on the toilet?
2.) Thin on the floor, thick ring on the toilet?
3.) Squish both on the floor?
4.) all on the toilet?! (probably not)

Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
In what order would I use these rings, and where would I place them?
1.) Thick ring with sleeve on the floor, normal ring on the toilet?
2.) Thin on the floor, thick ring on the toilet?
3.) Squish both on the floor?
4.) all on the toilet?! (probably not)
You managed to miss the right one, per Terry's posts: Wax-only ring on flange, and ring with plastic horn on that. The stack should be I would think 1 inch above the floor before dropping the toilet on the wax. You don't want a void over the wax.

Position shims to eliminate rocking before lowering the toilet on the wax. This is done by first placing the toilet with no wax. Position shims, and tape or mark shims. Lift toilet, place wax, lower toilet on wax.

Nebojsa

Reaction score
Some will say that,the correct way is that the bottom of the toilet flange should always be sitting on the finished floor.That is the way i have always done it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks