1/8th inch pitch acceptable ? Garage toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Brendan Poirier

Reaction score
I had the sewage line ran to my garage from the septic tank. I really want to put a toilet in the garage as it is detached. The location I want to put the toilet is 21 feet from where the sewage connection enters. The sewage connection will be 1.5" under the bottom of the concrete slab. So If I run the 20ft section like in the drawing, the top of the pipe will be incased in the bottom of the slab by about 3/4'' at the most for about 8ft. Here we use ABS pipe. My question is if it is okay for the ABS to be partially in the concrete. Since the 90 degree elbow for the toilet will not be flush with the finished slab, I will be putting the toilet on a raised platform. I have no problem doing this as it is for a garage. Let me know if my drawing makes sense/will work. As far as code here we are allowed a 1% slope. I could even reduce the drain line to 3" if it will still work and it will also be slightly less in the concrete.

Attachments

• img120.pdf
    269.5 KB · Views: 144

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
its a bit nit picking if you are encroaching beyond the minimum coverage of concrete I suppose the answer is No, Yea I've done it but never in a Garage with cars driving over

Brendan Poirier

Reaction score
its a bit nit picking if you are encroaching beyond the minimum coverage of concrete I suppose the answer is No, Yea I've done it but never in a Garage with cars driving over
also maybe i didnt explain myself properly. The top of the pipe will be 3/4 into the Bottom of the concrete, not the top. Over top of the pipe there will still be 5" of concrete

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We see it a lot when stretching to the ends of grade in the same scenario as yours.. if you have a 5" slab it won't make any difference at all. just cover the pipe so there is no direct contact to the concrete. If it gets embedded a lot it will definately crack the concrete and you will always know where that pipe is.. but all slabs eventually crack anyways.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have to run 1/4 inch fall but the OP says in his area (assuming Canada) allows 1 % aka 1/8inch . I agree personally wouldn't sweat the 3/4 inch encroachment but there is a slim chance inspector might say something, When we have specs that say minimum standards the inspectors can hold you to that

Reach4

Reaction score
IPC allows 1/8 slope for 3 inch or bigger
UPC seems to allow 1/8 inch slope for 4 inch at times.
708.1 General

Horizontal drainage piping shall be run in practical alignment and a uniform slope of not less than 1/4 inch per foot (20.8 mm/m) or 2 percent toward the point of disposal provided that, where it is impractical due to the depth of the street sewer, to the structural features, or to the arrangement of a building or structure to obtain a slope of 1/4 inch per foot (20.8 mm/m) or 2 percent, such pipe or piping 4 inches (100 mm) or larger in diameter shall be permitted to have a slope of not less than 1/8 inch per foot (10.4 mm/m) or 1 percent, where first approved by the Authority Having Jurisdiction.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
foreign country , the op said they allowed 1/8 inch so I'm trusting him. it seems his question was about the concrete

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks