1/8 inch versus 1/4 inch notched trowel for countertop thinset

Users who are viewing this thread

DMY

Reaction score
I'm not sure what size trowel to use - some sources indicate 1/8 inch notch, some 1/4 inch notch. What say you wise sirs ? Thank you.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would depend on what product you're using to bed the tile in, and the size of the tiles. The setting material will come
in packages with instructions, most likely.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
The mortar package should tell you but it probably won't matter a whole lot if it's working. I'm guessing the quarter inch will be fine for this project unless the tiles are really small.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It very much depends on two things:
- how flat the back of the tile is
- how flat the substrate is
The less flat things are, the more thinset you need to ensure that there's full coverage without either voids, or rocking over a high point. FWIW, a typical thinset should not exceed 3/16" final depth after the notches are flattened and the tile is set. Setting the tile (should) flatten the mortar into a continuous, flat sheet with full contact between the substrate and the tile. To check how you're doing, pop an occasional tile back up after setting and verify coverage. If you don't have good coverage, you then have to determine if it was not enough thinset, or poor technique actually setting the tile.

The bond doesn't get stronger with a thicker layer as long as there's proper coverage. Excess mortar tends to shrink and crack, making for a poor bond.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
That's smart jadnashua. By the way, I like to use prolite mortar as it's much more forgiving especially with bigger tiles, and you can build it up to 3/4 of an inch to compensate for various issues. It does cost around 10 bucks a bag more but for small projects I do find it worth it. Other LFT mortars may work well too, but the prolite seems really good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks