1,500gal per day water usage -- Toto Emax 528 running constantly

Users who are viewing this thread

woodcycl

Reaction score
Based upon my water companies meter readings, we are using 1,500 gallons of water per day over the past 45 to 60 days. Prior to this, our average daily water use was ~181 gallons. This is for 3 people in a small 1500 sq. ft home. After much hunting and searching (used dye to confirm) it appears to be our Master Bath Toto toilet running non-stop.

See photo with RED arrow. This is where the water runs non-stop (into the white tube, but the tube never fills up).

We have the Emax 528 based upon the photos I took, but don't see this particular system online to replace. Please see photos. The flapper has a black round plastic piece above it that I don't see online to purchase (see photo).

Any assistance with knowing what I need to purchase to replace all the internal parts is greatly appreciated. I installed this toilet in 2009 so we are looking at 10yrs of use with very hard water so I'm fine with replacing the entire system and not only the flap, etc.

Even though I installed this toilet and another one, I don't necessarily know what I'm doing in terms of what to look for, how to replace these parts, etc. So, again, any help is great appreciated!

Attachments

• Toto leak 1.JPG
    Toto leak 1.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 303

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying the tank never fills up.
Two possibilities:
1. There is a massive leak at the flapper and the flapper or fill valve needs replaced. If it is the flapper, consider the Fluidmaster 5503. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/flapper-issue-3-drops-too-soon.75584/#post-557933
2. The fill valve (thing with the green) is defective, and needs to be replaced. The Korky 528MP, with the silver top would be a good choice.

A test to distinguish which is the problem is to temporarily make the black tube put its water into the tank. If the tank stays empty, the problem is the flapper or fill valve. If the tank fills, replace the fill valve.

korky-3060-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That white tube directs water to the bowl. Unless there's a clog, the bowl will never overflow, so water just goes down the drain once the bowl is full.

The fill valve you have is made for Toto by Korky. If it never shuts off, you could either replace the whole thing, or, much cheaper, just change the seal inside. https://www.korky.com/sites/default/files/media/product/pdf/R528_1.pdf or watch the video

The first time you do this, it might take you 10-minutes (no tools required). The next time, maybe 2-minutes.

To determine if it's the flapper valve, shut the water supply off and leave it alone for awhile. If the water level drops, you need to replace the flapper valve.

As you've found out, ignoring running water can get expensive when the utility bill comes...best to address it as soon as it's discovered.

From personal experience with the water coming into my house (it will vary by how your water is treated), I have to replace that cap about every 3-4 years and the flapper often at around the same time. I usually have one sitting in the closet and replace it when I notice things not working properly, then order another for the next time. With some water, say if you have an untreated well, the parts could last MUCH longer.

If your water pressure is excessive, the cap's seal will fail sooner. I've observed that the first sign it is wearing out is a delay in starting to flow water after a flush. The seal is getting stiff and will crack eventually after that starts. While you have the float out, there's a small hole in it...make sure it is not plugged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks