1/4 Turn vs. Multi-turn Shutoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Tintin

Reaction score
For shutoffs in the bathroom, I'm assuming most plumbers will use the multi-turn valve because it has been used longer, is that correct? Or are a lot of people now using the 1/4 turn ones? I suppose with the 1/4 turn ones they are less forgiving if there's an issue. And most plumbers will use the compression fitting as opposed to the Sharkbite style, correct? Thank you!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
1/4-turn, compression seems to be the most popular with plumbers. These valves are designed to be fully opened, or closed...why would you want to do multiple turns, and rely on a washer and seat when a ball valve is quicker and more reliable. It also has less internal flow restrictions.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I agree.

You are correct that most plumbers will use standard compression fittings instead of Sharkbite, as they are cheaper, and have stood the test of time.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Multi-turn valves have fallen by the wayside for use as a shut-off.

brasscraft-multi-turn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tintin

Reaction score
Oh, interesting, the 1/4 turn with the ball valve is used more these days, but the Sharkbite is used less than compression. I'm guessing because the compression seems like it's a more permanent connection, even though there aren't many complaints of the Sharkbite connections failing. But maybe that also has to do with the expense. Thank you very much for the helpful information.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A Sharkbite can work fine, but it will turn on the pipe, costs lots more, and can be damaged, if you don't debur the end of the pipe properly, which can slice or damage the o-ring seal.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It depends on the plumbers, and what kind of pipe it's going on.
There is the SharkBite type, compression, Thread on, and PEX on.
Some plumbers are trying to save a buck, and some are not looking at the money end of things. It's all over the board.
I was talking to one contractor using PEX, and he liked the Sharkbite stops as he was having more issues with compression. I use compression mainly on copper for service work now. I have used Sharkbite at times depending on what I'm working with.
Almost everything I do is 1/4 turn, but then I'm service and it's how I roll.

Tintin

Reaction score
It depends on the plumbers, and what kind of pipe it's going on.
There is the SharkBite type, compression, Thread on, and PEX on.
Some plumbers are trying to save a buck, and some are not looking at the money end of things. It's all over the board.
I was talking to one contractor using PEX, and he liked the Sharkbite stops as he was having more issues with compression. I use compression mainly on copper for service work now. I have used Sharkbite at times depending on what I'm working with.
Almost everything I do is 1/4 turn, but then I'm service and it's how I roll.

Gotcha, thank you, and like Atomic1 said above do you tend to use the 1/4 turn that are ball valve, or are those not cost effective in your world?

Tintin

Reaction score
1/4 turn, but I will add that there are different grades of 1/4 turn. Consider the all metal ball valve 1/4 turn stops in lieu of the cheaper versions that are usually the ones on the shelf at the box stores.

For example, brasscraft G2CR19 is the cheap version of KTCR19 https://www.brasscraft.com/products/water-supplies/water-stops/

So I should assume whenever a valve doesn't say ball valve in it's description most likely it's the cheaper version? Does this version have the same mechanics inside as the multi-turn ones, or is it still an upgrade going from multi-turn to 1/4 turn without the ball valve? Thank you very much!

Atomic1

Reaction score
1/4 turns are ball-type valves. I just meant that they make em with plastic components or all-metal components. I usually go for the all-metal 1/4 turn stops because I have hard water which typically seizes all of my lower quality 1/4 turn valves and multi-turn valves after a few years....have slowly been changing them out.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Not all 1/4-turn valves are ball valves; the Brass Craft G2 uses a round shaft with a hole through the center instead of a ball attached to the shaft.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since I live in a place where 90% of the pipes are copper, I use a lot of compression and threaded valves. Not too many sweat valves.
1/4 or multi turn, doesn't matter. Multi turn valves are far from dead or a thing of the past.
I have had 1/4 turn leak right off the bat (Chinese rejects?).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks