1/4 turn shut off required by code for residential sink hot water supply???

Users who are viewing this thread

Bmusgrove

Reaction score
Is a 1/4 turn shutoff required by code for the hot water line to household sinks? North Central Texas area.

Background - Recently experienced a valve bonnet failure on a toilet water supply stop, causing a few thousand dollars of damage. After visually inspecting several other stop valves in the house. I decided to go ahead and replace all of the stop valves in the house. Yes, it is overkill, but the peace of mind is worth it. A couple of the "big box" plumbing shops I have received estimates from have stated that a 1/4 turn stop valve is REQUIRED by either code (multi turn unsafe in hot water situations) or the manufacturer (multiturn not suited for hot water applications). Unsurprisingly the cost is a tad (;)) higher

So.... I understand where a 1/4 turn could be advantageous, but REQUIRED for residential? Unsuitable? Right off the hot water heater yes, but for intermittent use at the sink?

Also. While I do not mind 1/4 turn (might even prefer them), I do not like the smaller handle style of the 1/4 turn valves on the BrassCraft (or BC generic's) they have shown me. I cannot grip them. What is a reputable brand with larger handles, similar to the large oval handles on Brass Craft multiturn? Something I can ask a smaller local plumber to use when I find a shop I like?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use whatever you like 1/4 turn not required. some really think highly of Dahl angle stops they aren't any prettier than a bBass Craft but most seem to think better quality. they seem good to me I've installed a few dozen I don't like the handle appearance either. I'd go 1/4 turn Brass Craft or Dahl on my own home.
BTW I don't think replacing is overkill

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Brasscraft makes a 1/4 turn with a cross handle. XKTCR19X NS

1662478711211.png

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
When the lead free mandate went into effect and manufactures had dug in their heels, our plumbing suppliers switched over to the angle stop shown below with the plastic ball. This is the type typically found in box stores. The metal ball style is more durable. Its easily identified by its handle shape... if you end up looking further at brasscraft.

Metal ball

1662479203481.png

Plastic ball
1662479252879.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Didn't realize plastic handle plastic ball identifies it. those cross handle brass craft look nice for a pedestal trying for a older look

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah.. We had a customer supply their own stops once and that is what they provided. I showed them and they decided to use our stops after pointing out the difference. Then when I saw that was the only stop available at the time at our wholesaler, I knew why we were getting stuck with those valves.

After the fiascos we had with the plastic valves in the Manabloc system, I just won't use them if I can

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks