1.28 Toto Drake Back-to-Back

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber'sSon

Reaction score
I have installed Toto CST744EL toilet and discovered the water level in the bowl was dropping significantly. In couple hours it was half of the full and overnight the bowl was dry. There is another toilet behind the wall, very old with probable 5 galons per flush. I do not know what is used the Sanitary Tee or a Wye. When I flushed the old toilet I could not see water lowing in the new toilet by the way. I doubted the water running away was due to the Back-to-Back connection. I called Toto and the suggested me to disconnect the toilet from the supply and the drain, put it on two 2x4, slide a pan under the horn and watch. I put water in the bowl until it spilled, emptied the pan and started watching. The water dropped half the level in couple hours, so there is crack somewhere.
I am about to return / replace the toilet and wondering if I can install a water efficient toilet there.

Thanks

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Sounds like you must have a crack in the bowl. If you got it locally, it should be no big deal to take it back and swap for another bowl while you hold onto the tank.

You have an excellent toilet there; it's unusual that we hear of defects in Totos if they are puchased locally rather than online. I would just swap out the bowl and enjoy your toilet.

If I understand the question you asked, it sounds like you had a chance to use the toilet a bit in that back-to-back configuration, and it doesn't sound like it siphoned the other bowl, so I don't think you would have a problem with the replacement bowl siphoning the old bowl on the other side of the wall. At 1.28gpf, your Toto is very water-efficient.

Plumber'sSon

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
I just want to clarify my question.
So, I had two old toilets Back-to-Back.
If I replace one of them with Water Efficient Toto where could I expect the problem due to (possible) siphoning? Could I see the lower water level in the old toilet bowl or in the new one?
Can I install two new toilets Back-to-Back?

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I called Toto and they suggested me to disconnect the toilet from the supply and the drain, put it on two 2x4, slide a pan under the horn and watch. I put water in the bowl until it spilled, emptied the pan and started watching. The water dropped half the level in couple hours, so there is crack somewhere.
I am about to return / replace the toilet and wondering if I can install a water efficient toilet there.

Thanks

It sounds like a bad bowl, cracked in shipment.
I would replace the bowl. The five gallon bowl will flush too slowly to do anything
The Drake didn't affect the old five gallon.
Just replace the bowl.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yeah, you would see the effect in the OLD toilet, not your new Toto. It is a result of the speed with which the new toilet flushes. Since it didn't affect your old bowl the first time, it shouldn't now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks