1/2" Pro Press connection and WIFI controllers

Users who are viewing this thread

OscarR

Reaction score
Hello
I'm a homeowner with a few incursions into this world and I thoroughly enjoy problem solving, tinkering and learning. I have 2 Legend 10" sillcock bibs on the front and back of the house. They both got ruined (leak and anti siphon seals ruined) because I did not know you are not supposed to have permanent pressure on them (hose timer) or that the hose had to be disconnected in the winter (duh!) so the AS valve can do it job. I only learned about this when I researched the failure and went to the manufacturer's spec and install instructions.

When I had those installed I also had ball valves installed for extra peace of mind. I'm replacing the stems/cartridges and AS valve to bring them back to life. I also installed a WiFi ball valve shut off/timer on one as a trial to eliminate the issue of permanent pressure. Having done that I see the ball valves were installed with a pro-press crimp. I'm wondering whether over time the torque being applied to this joint may make the pro-press joint fail. The wifi device attaches with a worm drive clamp just behind the pro press crimp. If anything the common sense physics tell me I'm compressing the joint and that it should't be an issue. It's the back and forth forces over time that concern me and fully knowing that my common sense assumption may not hold water... I have a flood sensors connected to a Guardian by Elexa main shut off valve in case the unthinkable happens, but of course I would not want to rely on that if the joint will be damaged over time. Please advice, any help welcome. And to all the the people that make these conversations possible, THANK YOU. This is an invaluable resource to so many.
Oscar

Attachments

• IMG_6337.JPG
    IMG_6337.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_6338.JPG
    IMG_6338.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 195

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I doubt it will be a problem, those things don't put a ton of torque on the joint. If you want assurance, I'd ask the manufacturer of the valve actuator, Dome?, if they recomend against using it on a press fiting valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks