1/2" MIP? Does this exist?

Users who are viewing this thread

shadysprings

Reaction score
I am replacing an angle stop valve for a refrigerator water supply line.
Out is 1/4" compression and in is 1/2" MIP?

I can find plenty of of these with 1/2" FIP, but not with the male version I think is called MIP.

Does this exist? Well it does since the picture is one, but does it still exist. This one is over 30 years old.

Thanks

Capture.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
That's a suitable nipple.

Either tape or non-hardening sealant compound alone can work great. Least likely to leak with a given amount of torque is PTFE tape and anaerobic pipe compound both. I have not read anybody having a problem with deterioration of the installed joint, but pipe sealant (dope) may have limited life in the bottle.

There are various qualities of tape. Cheapest are very thin and light.

Dahl 511-01-30 is a straight valve, but I cannot find a seller for that either.

Last edited:

SWong

Reaction score
Try supplyhouse.com ... last time I checked they had the Dahl valve (1/2 inch MIP to 1/4-inch compression) in both straight and 90-degree varieties

shadysprings

Reaction score
Try supplyhouse.com ... last time I checked they had the Dahl valve (1/2 inch MIP to 1/4-inch compression) in both straight and 90-degree varieties
Thanks, I just checked and there are FIP but no MIP.

Dumb question but is there any difference between the brass and chrome colors? Other than the color?

Reach4

Reaction score
Dumb question but is there any difference between the brass and chrome colors? Other than the color?
No functional difference except chrome does not allow the dual MIP/solder ability.

OK, one other difference: if it's brass, it's not mostly zinc. Plastic can be chrome plated too, but don't know of stop valves that are chrome-plated plastic.

shadysprings

Reaction score
Why do angle stop valves get stuck? Should they be closed and opened periodically? or am I just using low quality ones? I have Keeney branded qtr turn ones all over my house and they either get stuck or won't close all the way. These are all about 10 years old.

Thanks for all the help by the way. It beats asking the Lowes guy :)

Paulypfunk

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dahl brand is wonderful but not always readily available to the public, they cater their sales mostly to the plumbing trade. Brasscraft makes a decent valve that are sold at many hardware stores. Whichever you buy I’d recommend a 1/4 turn ball style valve vs the washer style you displayed in your original post.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks