1/2 inch PEX to tub. no volume

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pressure in this town is as low as 40 psi, high as 60 psi. 50 psi or below I can't seem to get enough volume to tubs running half inch PEX. Branched of a 3/4 line. Will I get more volume running 3/4 PEX right to the tub. Even though I'm adapting to a half inch tub rough in

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SHort answer - YES. The id of 1/2" pex is closer to 3/8" copper. THe ID of 3/4" pex is larger than 1/2" copper. If you use crimp connections, the volume throughput is slightly less than if you use the expansion system of fittings and tubing. Restrictions mean friction, which means less volume.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Fluid dynamics functions such that in a short distance restriction, the fluid speed increases through the restriction, then returns to 'normal'. This is the venturi effect. A long section of smaller diameter does not return to the normal flow rate...it just creates friction, and reduces the max volume available.
venturi3.gif

Reach4

Reaction score
1/2 inch will get hot water there a little sooner, but that is not so important with a tub as it would be for a lav.

Most people use more hot than cold in a bath or shower. You might consider just bumping the hot line up to 3/4.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
This is a good handbook on water piping. It's about copper, but the concept is also valid for any tubing material...the flow rates will be lower because of the ID, but if pex is installed reasonably (i.e., not like rigid copper with lots of fittings), the lack of fittings can help. http://www.copper.org/publications/pub_list/pdf/copper_tube_handbook.pdf

Magneto

Reaction score
Jadnashua is 100 percent correct. Use less fitting and you should be fine. Make sure everything is spaced properly and maybe you might want to invest in a pressure pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks