1/2 gpm is it worth casing

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockwind1

Reaction score
I just drilled a 670 foot well, hit water at 560, stopped at 6:70, cost me about 10,000 bucks to drill this hole. The rating it at 1/2 GPM, the 4 1/2 inch plastic casing will cost me about 5000 bucks, is it worth casing and putting a pump in?

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the static level? If the water comes up high enough, the storage in the well may be enough for your residence. If you do that, I would suggest a device that shuts down the pump for a while if the water runs out.

1/2 GPM is 720 gpm per day. If the well does not hold enough, you can pump into an above-ground tank, and have a "pressure pump" pull the water from that tank.

A person typically uses about 60 gallons/day including bathing, and toilets, but without irrigation. Horses maybe 50 to 100 gpd for drinking if I remember correctly.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is still 720 gallons per day. Have you any better options?
LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Rockwind1

Reaction score
This is a stock well, it was also going to be my back up well in case my other well which is like 400 yards away, and it’s a fairly good well like water static water at 150

Rockwind1

Reaction score
Let me be more clear, here in my state you’re allowed one well up to 35 GPM for your house and you’re allowed another Stockwell, I think at the same GPM. The well that I’m using for the house is maybe a 10 GPM well, so I thought I would drill a Stockwell hoping to get better Gpm kind of for a back up but also because it’s down by where the horses are. But now I’m in a quandary I just don’t know if it’s worth putting in the additional 5000 for the casing. And then on top of that it’s gonna need a pump and pipe that’ll run at least another eight grand. I’m already 10,000 into it. Poop

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro. What does your driller suggest?

I don't know about the casing, but the pump, wire and drop pipe number seems high-- I was probably not thinking about the wires being expensive. The drilling price seemed lower than I would have guessed.

Curious-- would that be steel pipe, or schedule 140 or even stronger PVC?

I am thinking 5 gpm 1.5 HP for stock water or filling a topside tank.

Rockwind1

Reaction score
I am not a pro. What does your driller suggest?

I don't know about the casing, but the pump, wire and drop pipe number seems high-- I was probably not thinking about the wires being expensive. The drilling price seemed lower than I would have guessed.

Curious-- would that be steel pipe, or schedule 140 or even stronger PVC?

I am thinking 5 gpm 1.5 HP for stock water or filling a topside tank.
The two guys drilling at work for a fairly big company called drill tech here, the main guy running the drill rig seems pretty young like late 20s. He said he would put casing on it, actually I’m looking out my window and they’re starting to put the casing in right now

Reach4

Reaction score
I hope that works out well. You could buy run-dry protection when you get the pump installed, or you could wire that yourself.

https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/cycle-sensor-pump-monitor is one such device.

If just filling a single trough, you would control the pump via a float switch. The pump protector could go in series with that.

I presume you are using single phase power. 3-phase is for the big boys.

Normally you will run the well dry on purpose a few times to get rid of sediment kicked up by the work. A run-dry protector automates that.

Rockwind1

Reaction score
I hope that works out well. You could buy run-dry protection when you get the pump installed, or you could wire that yourself.

https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/cycle-sensor-pump-monitor is one such device.

If just filling a single trough, you would control the pump via a float switch. The pump protector could go in series with that.

I presume you are using single phase power. 3-phase is for the big boys.

Normally you will run the well dry on purpose a few times to get rid of sediment kicked up by the work. A run-dry protector automates that.
Thank you. Good advice. I will. Yes. Single phase. Was thinking of using a solar pump. I have a 6500 gallon water tank I want to put a float switch in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks