1/2 Copper pipe - k? for a boiler, Several Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Merl

Reaction score
I have a boiler that is heated by corn that I just installed. I bought the boiler knowing the company was out of business last year, it was brand new. I do not know that much about boilers and I have learned quite a bit in two weeks. One of the problems I have is that the copper coils are now leaking at the bottom of where the coil begins, there is 1 1/2 copper manifold with 6 - 1/2 copper lines. I am trying to find out what type of material would be used to solder/weld these lines to the manifold. It is a grayish/black color material on the lines now. I try using map gas and it did not phase this material, which probably sounds stupid considering the heat that this has to withstand. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. There are pin hole leaks on the 1/2 copper lines near the bottom. I was not aware that I needed to have a constant water supply to the boiler and the water was boiled out inside the boiler and as a result of my stupidity, I am assuming that is what damaged the lines to cause them to start leaking.? I am also assuming that these are type K copper lines. The manifolds are fine, I am hoping to replace the copper lines, once I can learn what material to use to weld these lines.
Thank You :eek: :confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They were probably brazed...never done it myself. Try a search on the web...somebody here will probably answer eventually. Not sure if you can take a brazed joint apart without destroying it...just don't know.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I am 99% sure you can have someone rebraze the joint . I can let you know later about the 1%.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
copper

They are silver soldered/brazed connections. It is unlikely that you will be able to disassemble the joints. But if you could you would probably need an oxy-acetylene torch to do it. You may have to just recreate the manifolds with new fittings and tubing, but you would still need a bigger torch than you have to put them together.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
silver soldre or brazed

whatever it is , you are in some trouble here

it might be a good idea to find someone that knows
how to do both and save yourself some time
and trouble...

they can do it right the first time and
save you tons of greif

just pay someone and get it over with

Merl

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, A friend of mine came by and is pretty certain that they are silver solder that is holding the joints together. He felt it was not in my best interest to try and repair this myself. He explained about the heat and damaging the copper. Any references for someone to make me a new coil setup with the headers in the Chicago land area, would be greatly appreciated. I will start looking tomorrow. Thanks

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Merl, they gave you good advice , PART OF MY BUSS. IS

welding. you will get great advice on weld talk .com

i,m one of the members there, and i've seen similar questions posted there ,i believe. melt temp's for brazing are 700 f i believe yes you do need to fab. new coil. i can't believe this to be a large deal

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks