1/2” brass close nipple too long

Users who are viewing this thread

TAPlumbing

Reaction score
Hey!

I’ve found similar threads but none that exactly match what I’m looking for. I need to attach a shower supply elbow to a female threaded fitting, but I didn’t leave enough room for the nipple. The smallest 1/2” npt brass close nipple I can find is 1-1/8” long. I need to be closer to 3/4” long.

Here’s what I tried so far:
- I called Trenton Pipe and MoPipe and they won’t sell a homeowner a custom close nipple. They only sell to wholesalers. That, and MoPipe said they can’t even manufacture a close nipple shorter than 1-1/8” long.

- I picked up a tap and die kit. I Cut about 1/8 inch off both sides of a 1-1/8” close nipple and tried to rethread. The problem was that the taper was gone and I could only get one or two threads into both the female fitting and the supple elbow. Maybe I should have tried to use the die further? Problem is I can’t hold the nipple without destroying the threads in a clamp.

Anyone have any sage advice for this fool? I really don’t want to take the tiles down.

C1363DFC-A05B-4412-87F2-807F6DE24730.jpeg
218450CB-CC79-42A9-B090-DE3D57364E23.jpeg
333F2277-C5FF-467D-8897-8745F3729366.jpeg
7DF6B761-B378-4775-B199-9773AB6D4EBD.jpeg

Last edited:

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Cut the 1/4" off one end of the nipple, screw the other end into some sort of sacrificial fitting, then use the tap on the free end? Maybe use a drop ear elbow screwed to a length of a 2x4 for the sacrificial fitting? Or if that interferes with the tap holder maybe a coupling and a second length of pipe? You'll probably need to use an inside pipe wrench to remove the newly-threaded nipple from the sacrificial fitting ...

TAPlumbing

Reaction score
Cut the 1/4" off one end of the nipple, screw the other end into some sort of sacrificial fitting, then use the tap on the free end? Maybe use a drop ear elbow screwed to a length of a 2x4 for the sacrificial fitting? Or if that interferes with the tap holder maybe a coupling and a second length of pipe? You'll probably need to use an inside pipe wrench to remove the newly-threaded nipple from the sacrificial fitting ...
Thank you! I’m going to try to rethread again and see if I can get it work using a sacrificial female fitting as a holder in a vice.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
TO get a leak-proof connection, you need the nipple to be inserted a decent way into the fitting...I'm not sure if you can get a proper connection with only 3/8" into fittings on either end of a nipple only 3/4" long. That's probably why the company said their minimum length is 1-1/8". Threading the nipple in the design distance does two things...makes it mechanically secure, and gets the tapered threads a chance to create a proper seal. If you just cut some off of the ends of a nipple, you might get it to seal, but you wouldn't have enough threads engaged for the design strength.

ReDTyDe

Reaction score
I've run into a similar issue....I was looking for a 2 3/4" long fitting but didn't realize you can only get them in 1/2" increments.
If you look at the picture, does it look like I would have enough threads to work with this 2 1/2" long nipple?

Shower Nipple.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've run into a similar issue....I was looking for a 2 3/4" long fitting but didn't realize you can only get them in 1/2" increments.
If you look at the picture, does it look like I would have enough threads to work with this 2 1/2" long nipple?
You could remove the nipple from the wall, thread on your fitting and then take that measurement.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Maybe a different shower head. Might not be ideal but better than taking down the tile. Alternatively, what is on the other side of the wall?

Reach4

Reaction score
That looks like steel. You don't want a steel nipple in that job.

You can get custom length, tho I don't find that a the moment. you can make your own using an NPT die.

Also, if the nipple is tad short, using more tape can fill in to tighten the gap.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
You need a Grohe shower wall ell (the ones that have adjustability. I haven't reviewed latest models) since they almost always have full depth adjustment that makes this a piece of cake.
There is no good way to do what you are trying to do. Don't feel bad. The design of simple/stupid shower wall ells is not your fault.

ReDTyDe

Reaction score
That looks like steel. You don't want a steel nipple in that job.

You can get custom length, tho I don't find that a the moment. you can make your own using an NPT die.

Also, if the nipple is tad short, using more tape can fill in to tighten the gap.
Thanks! Yes I was only using it for measurement purposes. Plan was to go brass.....?

Reach4

Reaction score
Brass yes. Adding more PTFE tape acts like making the nipple a tad longer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks