1 1/4 copper to PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

jay443

Reaction score
I need help. I had to cut out a copper tee that had corroded galvanized drain pipe in it. I have 1 1/4 copper drain and I'd like to re-plumb everything with PVC. I was trying to find the right Fernco-type fittings to go from copper to PVC but I can't. Do they exist? Or do I have to sweat something onto the 1 1/4 copper to make it larger so that I can then use the Fernco? Any advice appreciated.

jay443

Reaction score
Oh wow that's it! Thank you! I couldn't find anything at the Depot. Now to figure out how to get that fitting locally...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The big box stores tend to carry the more common things (and will often tell you it will work when it won't!). You'll have a better chance at a real plumbing supply shop. If not, you might need to order it.

jay443

Reaction score
The big box stores tend to carry the more common things (and will often tell you it will work when it won't!). You'll have a better chance at a real plumbing supply shop. If not, you might need to order it.

Yes, definitely had that experience at Menards and Home Depot in regards to finding this fitting. The guy at Menards told me to just clamp down tighter and the rubber would conform! Luckily I found a local plumbing supply store that's near my house.

jay443

Reaction score
Ok, I want to make sure that I'm installing this correctly. How do I "insert" the new section, in terms of how long to cut the replacement PVC? I can't see how I could cut enough PVC such that both the copper and PVC butt up to the center "stop" inside the coupling. Does that make sense? It seems that there will be one side that has to be short of the center stop in order to get the whole thing inserted into this cut-out section.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok, I want to make sure that I'm installing this correctly. How do I "insert" the new section, in terms of how long to cut the replacement PVC? I can't see how I could cut enough PVC such that both the copper and PVC butt up to the center "stop" inside the coupling. Does that make sense? It seems that there will be one side that has to be short of the center stop in order to get the whole thing inserted into this cut-out section.
I think both sides will be slightly short of the center stop.

I used dish washing detergent as a lube. I expect you will slide the whole rubber over the end of the smaller pipe. Put the pipes with the ends near each other, and slide the rubber.

MKS

Reaction score
If you are replacing the tee enough copper must be cut back so the coupler clamps on the pvc that is inserted into said tee. Then the length of the the pvc is cut to locate the drain inlet on the tee in the right place. A little soap on the coupler will allow you to slide the coupler all the way on the copper. Tape measure can help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Loosen the clamps, slide the metal shield off of the rubber component, slide it onto one of the pipes. Slide the rubber sleeve onto one pipe. Fold the other end back onto the part already onto the pipe. Position the other pipe you want to attach, fold the rubber back onto that piece, then slide the metal cover over both then, tighten the clamps. Each end should butt up to the stop in the middle, or be close. This requires that you be able to flex at least one of the pipes to get the sleeve on one of them first.

Porterinjax

Reaction score
Hello, I recognize that I am bumping an old thread but curious if there are any newer products on the market or if the recommendation in this thread is still the best way to convert 1-1/4 copper to PVC. I have two bathroom sinks that I have this issue with and one bath/shower drain that is 1-1/2" copper that I need to convert to 1-1/2" PVC. Thank you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks