1 1/2 hp Sta Rite well pump pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Generally, they are threaded into a small hole in the tank Tee. The other small port is for a pressure gauge. Sometimes they connect directly to a small port on the pump but pulses there could cause the pump to short cycle.

RJB

Reaction score
Am using without tank to water lawn from lake. Want to know pressure because motor overheats and shuts down about 60 seconds of water flow. Want to find the problem.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Am using without tank to water lawn from lake. Want to know pressure because motor overheats and shuts down about 60 seconds of water flow. Want to find the problem.

Measuring the current that the motor is drawing may be of more help than a pressure gauge.

A 1.5 HP motor should be wired for 240 if possible.
And using some big wire, if the electrical run is very long and using 120.

120 may be safer tho...

You may want to double check your motor voltage setting.
And current ratings.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score

Your pressure and your amps are inversely related. Pressure goes up, amps go down. What exactly will a pressure switch do for you? Probably cycle your pump to death.

Measuring the current that the motor is drawing may be of more help than a pressure gauge.

A 1.5 HP motor should be wired for 240 if possible.
And using some big wire, if the electrical run is very long and using 120.

120 may be safer tho...

You may want to double check your motor voltage setting.
And current ratings.

DonL,

Amps kill, not voltage. You ever been shocked by a spark plug? About 20,000 volts there.

RJB

Reaction score
Am curious how much pressure pump is putting out. Have 30' 1 1/2 PVC from lake inlet and 3,4 spicket coming out. 30 ft of 12 guage wire coming from my shed to pump.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Without a tank you don't want to use a pressure switch, just connect an on/off switch.
I suspect that 30' of 12 guage wire is to small for a 1-1/2 hp pump. Look up an electrical wire/motor chart (wire size/distance/motor hp). It sounds like the motor is overheating due to lack of proper voltage/current.

Last edited by a moderator:

RJB

Reaction score
Without a tank you don't want to use a pressure switch, just connect an on/off switch.
I suspect that 30' of 12 guage wire is to small for a 1-1/2 hp pump. Look up an electrical wire/motor chart (wire size/distance/motor hp). It sounds like the motor is overheating due to lack of proper voltage/current.
have 40' from pole to shed and 50' from shed to pump. 12 gauge. I have a new 35/50 regulater but no pressure guage.

Sta Rite
Mod C48L2EC11
Ser 7E84 RPMS 3450
HP 1 1/2
Type C
A.D. Smith Corp Mebane

Where can I get a free schematic of motor?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pull the back cap off the end of the motor. Check the voltage setting, 115V or 230V. My bet is you have the motor set for 230V and you are only sending 115V.

RJB

Reaction score
I'll try that but wouldn't the wire get hot to the touch if it were set wrong?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I'll try that but wouldn't the wire get hot to the touch if it were set wrong?

There should be a wiring diagram on the inside of the motor cover.

True HP is 1 Horsepower for that motor;
AC induction motor, capacitor start, Typce C, Model C48L2EC11, rated 230/115V ac, 60Hz, 9.95/19.9A, 1 hp, 3450 rpm, 1-ph, SF 1.65, Frame Size 48Y, DP, Class B, 40C ambient, continuous duty, thermally protected, auto reset.

If the voltage is set wrong the wiring may not get hot but the internal overload would see a abnormal amount of current and trip the motors internal auto-reset breaker. Would run at half speed or less, or 2X speed until it burns up the start winding and / or start Capacitor.

That motor should have a Voltage changing switch under the rear motor cover.

RJB

Reaction score
Have no electrical knowledge. I'm plugged into a regular house outlet.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You'll need to get an electrician to see if 230 volts is available in the shed and if so wire in a 230 volt circuit with a double pole disconnect so that you can run the pump on 230. Also verify that the pump is actually set to 230 volts.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
have 40' from pole to shed and 50' from shed to pump. 12 gauge.
First you said it was 30 feet from shed to pump, now it's 50 feet plus another 40 feet from the pole for a total of 90 feet. Is that a single 12/2 feed from the pole to the shed as well? How much more wire between the service entrance and the pole or is the pole central metering? Is there 230 volts available at the pole?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks