1 1/2" exposed chrome p-trap to 2" ABS - what slip joint?

Users who are viewing this thread

BlueGoldfish

Reaction score
Doing my first sink install... sink has exposed plumbing - and so will use 1.5" chrome p-trap. I have 2" ABS for drain and vent. This seems like such a basic question - but how do I best transition from the 2" sanitee to the 1.5" chrome p-trap. I was hoping for a 2" ABS slipjoint that has 1.5" on the 'slip' side - but they all seem to be 2" on both the glue and slip side. I'd rather not put a 2:1.5 reducer in after the sanitee as then things will stick out a little far from the wall.

Should I be using a 2:2:1.5 sanitee instead of a 2:2:2 and then a 1.5" slip? Seems weird to reduce at the rough opening and not have the full 2" opening available for future snaking...

Reach4

Reaction score
You want a trap adapter. They come in various varieties.

If you get the santee that Mr Tee suggests, then you would want a 1-1/2 spigot trap adapter.
750976-3.jpg

If your trap adapter has a 2 inch hub side port, you would use a bushing to reduce that to 1-1/2.
i015300-1.jpg

A chrome box escutcheon can cover the nut.

BlueGoldfish

Reaction score
Cool - thanks. I'll swap the sanitee - not glued up yet. My sanitee location already close to front of stud - so I'm not confident a reducer bushing plus 1.5 trap adapter would stay within the escutcheon. Was hoping there was such a thing as a 2:1.5 trap adapter fitting. thanks for the help - this forum is an awesome find!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
An 1.5" opening is sufficient for snaking a 2" drain.

Depending on your aesthetics the easiest way to make your work look good when its finished is to start with the correct fittings. The 2x1.5" tee is the correct fitting. I prefer to have Only the threads, and not even all of them, of the trap adapter sticking out of the sheetrock / finished wall. In this manner I can still tighten the slip nut and use a flat escutcheon to cover the nut and fitting. They do make deep box flange/eschutcheons if your trap adapter sticks out further. But in certain scenarios they take up too much room on the p-trap.

Reach4

Reaction score
Unrelated to original post: In looking up stuff, I find 2" Spigot x Slip Joint ABS Trap Adapters (example https://www.supplyhouse.com/Nibco-I014650-2-SPG-x-SJ-ABS-Trap-Adapter-580127). I do not find slip joint 2 inch p-traps. It seems to me that a 2 inch slip joint p-trap could bring the joys of slip joint to things like laundry standpipes or showers for the cases where the trap remains accessible. Thoughts?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks