What are your thoughts on aquasource and glacier bay toilets?

Users who are viewing this thread

NavySuit

Reaction score
These are the inexpensive toilets at the big box stores. They usually run around $100. They seem to get really good reviews. I'm thinking about putting one into a rental property.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
That is what they are good for, rental properties but if you read other models of glacier bay toilets and in the review filter on lowest ratings first, you'll read a common thread, poor quality control because of manufactured defects, not really design problems. Those that complain of of poor flush performance may not have the fill tube inside the overflow to fill the bowl up with water. I could not it on the web site but I think they are China made. That's why they are low cost. Maybe Mexico made.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
These toilets change design frequently, as it's basically what comes off the container from Some Other Country.

That said, I have had good experience with one model of Glacier Bay, which should still be the current model of their $99 1.28 gpf elongated single-flush toilet.

The fill valve looks extremely-cheap, but in my experience with two of them now, installed in a bar, it has functioned reliably for a couple of years. And if it ultimately breaks, you can replace it with any standard fill valve, like a Korky 528MP.

The wax ring in the box is standard-size (i.e. small) and may need to be supplemented if your flange isn't mounted on top of the finished floor, and the seat seems cheap and flimsy. But, again, it's all standard stuff and can be replaced with something better if it breaks. In two years of service in a busy bar, the seat has actually held up just fine.

Assembly is easy and straightforward, provided you're sure to check that the refill hose is properly-daylighted above the overflow riser on the clip, and that it is properly-aimed, so that it sends the refill water down the riser.

The toilet flushes very-effectively, with little drama. Clogging has been very rare, and a quick plunge by someone on the staff fixes the problem. (Get one of those Korky Beehive plungers; they're extremely-effective and will save you a service call from the tenant.)

Both copies of the thing looked fine and didn't have defects. Your mileage may vary. In a place that we didn't want to spend money given the likelihood that someone would smash one or the other of them, they remain unsmashed and continuing to function after three years. One of the lids did get smashed, and it does not appear that Glacier Bay will sell you just a lid, so it was replaced (inartfully) with a lid someone found somewhere; it doesn't look great, but it's sufficient for now in this place. I'm still expecting that we'll need a whole new one in the next 12 months, so it seemed dumb to spend half the price of the toilet to have one shipped from the lid places on Ebay.

Bottom line is that this particular model of el-cheapo toilet, at least, has held up to very-high-volume usage in the men's room of a rough-and-tumble place. It doesn't look like it should work that well, but this one has.

This in contrast, by the way, to the Cadet 3 in the ladies' room, which has been there about 3 years; last month, I had to replace the fill valve, flapper, and trip lever when they gave up the ghost. (I used the proper Korky Cadet 3 flapper and 528PRO fill valve, and OEM American Standard replacement handle, which actually looks more robust than the one originally-installed at the factory. I suspect these will now last longer than the original stuff in this high-volume environment.)

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
These toilets are perfect for rentals and comply with water saving rules. They are so reasonably priced, that when a tenant moves out I usually replace them - to the delight of new prospective tenants, who almost never fail to notice them.

HD's Glacier bay 1.28 Gallon $99 special does the job too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks