Another Hot Tub Wiring Question: Ground Wire Size/Type

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbob1962

Reaction score
I am installing a used hot tub that requires a 50 amp circuit. I have run 6/3 w ground cable to the disconnect (about 30'). My question is about what is required for the ground between the disconnect and the hot tub. The hot tub equipment is bonded by a #8 solid bare wire to the ground lug on the controller box of the hot tub (by the original owner).

The run between the GFCI/disconnect and the hot tub spa pack is about 13'. (The disconnect is in sight and located ~6' from hot tub.) I plan on running 8' Schedule 80 3/4" conduit then 5' non-metallic water-tight into hot tub. (1" water-tight is too big to pass through the channel built into the fram of the hot tub.) I know that I am running #6 stranded THWN non-grounded conductors for the two hots and neutral.

What do I need to run for a ground wire? Size? Insulated/non-insulated? Solid or Stranded?

Thanks for your help!
Jim

Last edited:

genmaster

Reaction score
National Electrical Code (NEC) article 680-IV refers to spa and hot tub installations, and references bonding requirements for spas and hot tubs to article 250, Grounding and Bonding. Article 250.122 specifies sizing of equipment grounding conductors and references table 250.122. The size is based on your overcurrent device size ( your gfci breaker). For a breaker 25 up to 60 amps, #10 copper or #8 aluminum/copper clad aluminum. You can run up to 5 #6's in 3/4 schedule 80, per table C.9, so I would pull a #8 copper thwn insulated stranded wire for your ground. Stranded will be easier to pull with your #6's. Not sure why your using schedule 80 instead of sch 40 though.

Jimbob1962

Reaction score
National Electrical Code (NEC) article 680-IV refers to spa and hot tub installations, and references bonding requirements for spas and hot tubs to article 250, Grounding and Bonding. Article 250.122 specifies sizing of equipment grounding conductors and references table 250.122. The size is based on your overcurrent device size ( your gfci breaker). For a breaker 25 up to 60 amps, #10 copper or #8 aluminum/copper clad aluminum. You can run up to 5 #6's in 3/4 schedule 80, per table C.9, so I would pull a #8 copper thwn insulated stranded wire for your ground. Stranded will be easier to pull with your #6's. Not sure why your using schedule 80 instead of sch 40 though.
Thank you for your response! I appreciate your explanation, too! Schedule 80 was, in fact, a typo; I meant 40.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks