American Standard Champion 4 problem

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by loop1, Oct 27, 2017.

1. loop1

loop1 New Member

I have an American Standard Champion 4 round bowl toilet. When flushing I must hold the flush handle down in order to deliver enough water from the tank to clear the bowl of its contents. While I don’t mind doing so, I shouldn’t have to tell guests how to flush a toilet, and with kids it is impossible. Is there any way to get this toilet to work better? (I have the water level in the tank set properly, and there is minimum slack in the chain.) If not, is there on the market a 1.6 gpf, round bowl toilet that works well with an old fashioned lever release that can be activated and let go?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2017
  2. loop1

loop1 New Member

I thought of replacing the flush mechanism as you suggest but I understand the opening in the bottom of the tank is 4 inches in diameter and the biggest flapper I can find is 3 inches.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Is this a new toilet, and if not, has it ever worked 'right'?

One of the things that can happen to any toilet is for something to be flushed that shouldn't be...a pen, pencil, crayon, toy, hair pin, etc. and all mess with the flush, and may be hard to remove with a toilet auger. ANother is if the toilet is moderately old and you have hard water...if the siphon jet is partially clogged, it won't start the water movement as fast as it needs to be, and it won't flush well. Yet another, is if when setting the toilet, you have the wax slip out of place and partially block the outlet. A toilet flange with a funnel can do the same thing, and anything clogged in the drain can slow the flush. THen, it might just be a crappy toilet! AS is not known for their great QA/QC anymore, especially those sold through big box stores.

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    A 3" flush valve fits, but you have to install the entire flush valve, not just the flapper.
    The Champion is a large funnel into a 3" hole.

[​IMG]

PART NUMBER: 5030
    Korky 3" flush valve replacement.
    Alternate part number: 5030BP | 5030FH | 5030FR

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  6. loop1

loop1 New Member

Terry--I finally got up my nerve, installed the Korky flush valve you recommended, and it works great. Many thanks for your suggestion, and for the service you provide through this forum.