Search results

1. WestMIchigan

CoolCalc vs loadcalc

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure I was able to set the outside temperature but I can double check. I am using a ductless mini split so while a good suggestion the duct sizing tool isn't really applicable here.
  2. WestMIchigan

CoolCalc vs loadcalc

In my post I mentioned I used loadcalc, it is even in my thread title. Not sure what you were asking me to do since I already did that and gave the results in my original post.
  3. WestMIchigan

CoolCalc vs loadcalc

I ran both programs and came up with wildly different answers. I am finishing my basement and adding heat to a bathroom that the current HVAC doesn't handle well. Both more or less agree on the cooling load but are off by a factor of 2.5 on the heating load. I have a master bathroom with lots...
  4. WestMIchigan

Anyone Own a Heat Pump Water Heater

I turn it off in the winter because I am undersized and need every BTU I can get for the house.
  5. WestMIchigan

That is a good idea, but not sure I can foot the cost of both right now. I certainly like the idea though.
  6. WestMIchigan

Thanks for the replies. My geothermal system is slightly undersized and after thinking about it a little, any heat removed from the basement will just make my geo have to work that much harder and force me into strip heaters even sooner. I guess I am going to suck it up and go with the same...
  7. WestMIchigan

So how do I calculate this? Obviously my approach failed miserably.
  8. WestMIchigan

Let's say I emptied the water heater so I have to heat 80 gallons of water. If I did the math correctly 80 gal requires about 44600BTU. Assuming 0.018 BTU to cool 1 cu ft those 44600 BTUs will cool a 13200 cu ft basement by 187 degrees. (13200*0.18 = 237.6 BTU/°F in my basement...
  9. WestMIchigan

Looks like you live in a fairly warm climate. Wondering how this will do in a mostly finished basement in Michigan?
  10. WestMIchigan

I am on the fence about buying a heat pump water heater. If anyone owns one what has been your experience? Does it cool your basement or other location too much? Do you find you run out of hot water quicker? Does it really save the money they say it will? With a COP of 4 it is hard to see...
  11. WestMIchigan

No Love for Hybrid Water Heaters...

Just curious, if I have a 20+ year old power vent propane water heater, how would this compare? I can't find any sould level specs on current power vent fans to know how much of a difference a heat pump would be.
  12. WestMIchigan

No Love for Hybrid Water Heaters...

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I saw this comment and I was curious. Looking at datasheets it would seem like the current Rheem's are the quietest, not noisiest. They are rated at 49dBA. Bradford White, AO Smith, etc... are all higher with sound levels as high as 54dBA. I am curious...
  13. WestMIchigan

Should I switch to tankless?

Question on the hybrid since they were brought up, it looks like the recovery rate is fairly slow. Looking at a Rheem See my first post, I am on a well that is just over 200ft deep. My cold water temperature doesn't vary much at all. It varies based on the holding tank in an unfinished...
  14. WestMIchigan

I can’t even begin to quantify my water heating costs. It isn’t the only appliance on propane and obviously electric is a guess also. With 4 kids 10-16 there are frequent showers, lots of laundry, and plenty of dishes being washed so water usage and actual costs are something I can’t even begin...
  15. WestMIchigan

I wasn’t planning on having a tankless as a preheater. It was hoping for a single source solution. I knew it was marginal but I was hoping I had miscalculated somewhere. Installing two would require too much $$ to make it happen.
  16. WestMIchigan

Yes, the AO Smith is a 50 gallon propane. No natural gas around here. Not sure what I think of a hybrid electric. I have heard various pros and cons. This would be in a finished basement.
  17. WestMIchigan

I currently have a 21 year old AO Smith 50gal water heater feeding a 40gal generic electric water heater which feeds the whole house. There are 4 bathrooms/showers but generally no more than 3 are used at one time. Would switching to a Navien NPE-240A or similar actually same me propane over...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks