Search results

1. Girafdaniels

Venting/BackDraft on Rheem Water Heater?

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.
  2. Girafdaniels

Slope shouldn't be the problem. The furnace is natural vent. To clarify, are you suggesting reducing the bend where it leaves the draft hood?
  3. Girafdaniels

Thanks for your thought. I was asking if there's anything problematic with my venting set up. "I’ve read that the vertical venting over water heaters should be min 12” before a turn..." and there's significant CO presenting at the top of the WH.
  4. Girafdaniels

My carbon monoxide detector went off recently, so I had the gas company out to test levels at our only gas appliances -- 38000 BTU Rheem* water heater and 80% efficient 88000 BTU furnace sharing flue venting. The gas company measured 45 ppm CO at the top of the unit when it was kicked on (and...
  5. Girafdaniels

Toilet Flange Install (without much exposed pipe)

The outside diameter of the port on the bottom of my toilet is 3 1/4” — Will the inside flange still work?
  6. Girafdaniels

Thanks for the excellent options and advice!
  7. Girafdaniels

I’m getting ready to install a new tile floor in the bathroom I’ve been renovating, and making toilet flange considerations before hand. When I moved the toilet location, I installed a 3 inch 90 elbow instead of a 4 inch to 3 inch closet elbow (which I didn’t yet know existed!). I knew that I...
  8. Girafdaniels

Solve a water hammer upstream?

Thanks for all the advice. The pressure was high when we moved in, so we had a regulator installed then. So, looks like I need to get to the back side of that valve and add the arrestors. The explanation of the air bags makes good sense. Thanks again!
  9. Girafdaniels

Solve a water hammer upstream?

My upstairs shower has an annoying water hammer issue when turning the water on/off “upstream” of the shower. For example, when water is turned on/off for the faucet (or toilet) in the same bathroom, the shower will “knock” right at the valve. I’ve been able to ensure that the valve itself (and...
  10. Girafdaniels

Venting a basement bathtub

Not a load bearing wall. And, you’ve got a discerning eye. Those bottom plates are not treated. The whole basement was built that way. I’ve put down treated anywhere I’ve done new work, but haven’t bothered with it otherwise. Wouldn’t be worth it in this house!
  11. Girafdaniels

I could actually run it up that wall and over the door, Wayne! I’ll have to redo the cold supply and move a couple other things, but I’d rather do all that now than have a problem (or potentially noisy studor valve access in the living area) later. Back to DWV work! Thanks for the advice again.
  12. Girafdaniels

Wayne, thanks for your continued advice and support! It’s possible (?) that the tub is wet vented with the toilet vent I just added. I’m not sure if the set up here with that vent location upstream from the wye into the 3” line qualifies. And even if it does, which would be great, It’s roughly...
  13. Girafdaniels

Any advice? Really appreciate any hard-earned insights and the time it takes to share them.
  14. Girafdaniels

The last element to plumb in my basement bath/laundry remodel is the bathtub drain. Like pretty much everything else, it was done poorly (or outright incorrectly!) when the house was built. The photo shows the plumbing that I’ve done in the hole that was already there. It wasn’t vented...
  15. Girafdaniels

Moving Toilet Location Under Slab

Good point. I definitely like planning for contingencies, so this makes a lot of sense. Thank you for sharing.
  16. Girafdaniels

Aha! Maybe I should wrap the 2” pipe that’ll be set within the slab, too...
  17. Girafdaniels

Very helpful. Is the purpose of the foam sleeve, in this first case, to just keep the concrete off the pipe above slab? The pipe itself won't be moving much during the pour as it's pretty rigid with the current set up. I'll sort out the closet flange before I pour the new slab. In some...
  18. Girafdaniels

I realized there's an exposed access to that vent line from the utility room next to the bathroom. So I'll skip adding the cleanout. Thanks for helping me think beyond what was right in front of my face!
  19. Girafdaniels

Won’t ever add one that would use that line...
  20. Girafdaniels

I was able to turn the wye up a little more, which you can see given the closer proximity of the 2” and 3” now that it’s all glued up. It all came together fairly well, given my limited experience and the benefit of your detailed advice. Had planned to use the dirt/gravel mix I’d pulled out...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks