Search results

1. JanSolo

Kitchen Sink Plumbing & External walls

You are right... I hadn't even considered the venting situation. This sink is nowhere near the vent stack in the house; I suppose a AAV will have to do. Cheers.
  2. JanSolo

Kitchen Sink Plumbing & External walls

Hello again, o wise plumbing masters! I'm back again with my latest project; I'm redoing the kitchen cabinets and will need to tidy up the plumbing for the sink, dishwasher and fridge ice-maker. Here is a picture of the current situation under the kitchen sink. Notice that the icemaker line is...
  3. JanSolo

Radiator removal & Mystery pipe!

Hello again o wise plumbers of the internet! Spring is here and it's time to tackle some renos! This time I'll be removing an old rad from my kitchen so that I can lay a Schluter heated floor. I moved my old cabinets only to discover a mystery pipe running along the floor that was concealed...
  4. JanSolo

How to plumb in my radiator?

OK, so I removed the brass fitting from the rad, retaped it, cranked the ever-loving-shit out of it and then reinstalled the rest. I also cranked that union to within an inch of its life. Seems to hold water now! :D The rest of the fittings appear water-tight; looks like it was just the brass...
  5. JanSolo

Big Update! I turned the water on and... It leaked EVERYWHERE! :(:(:(:(:eek: Mostly from the brass 90 union fitting that goes in to the rad. Questions: 1. How tight should I tighten the fittings? From reading here, it sounds like 'As tight as you can get with a 12-inch pipe wrench' is tight...
  6. JanSolo

Yep, my system is hot-water, not steam. I take it galvanized fittings are ok for this application?
  7. JanSolo

Hello again, O wisest of plumbers! Here's my attempt 3 of my radiator plumbing job. You can see that I removed the union and added a much longer nipple to the brass radiator 90 union. What do you chaps think? Looks OK? Once I clean up the wall, this box thing will cover it... There's a...
  8. JanSolo

Thanks for all the feedback... I might have another go then to see if I can eliminate the union. My Street 45s arrived in the mail, so I can try those out too. Will post version 3 when it's done. I'm learning lots, so thanks again! Jan.
  9. JanSolo

Thanks for replying! I added the bottom union to make it easier to take the whole thing in and out while making changes. As you can see, there is not a whole lot of space here; certainly not enough to get a pipe-wrench around the 45s. The only way I could 'tweak' it is by taking the whole thing...
  10. JanSolo

OK, I bought a bunch of nipples and 45s... here's my first attempt... You can see it doesn't quite line up. Second attempt is much better... Used PTFE tape on all the joints this time. How does it look? Can you spot any mistakes? Next step is to refill the system and see if it leaks. Cheers!
  11. JanSolo

Thanks; will do that and report back! Cheers!
  12. JanSolo

Hello again, O Wise plumbing elders. It's been a while since I sought your wisdom, but I'm back with a new project and I could use your infinite knowledge. I have baseboard radiators in my house; fed by a central electric furnace. I had an L-shaped radiator in my living-room; the last remaining...
  13. JanSolo

Bathroom Drywall & Kerdi

Hello again, o wisest of plumbers! I will soon be drywalling up my bathroom and I want to put some Kerdi around my bath/shower alcove to keep it all waterproof. I'm aiming to have the whole alcove kerdied up to the ceiling, and then tiled over... The rest of the room will have tile to maybe...
  14. JanSolo

My alcove tub is 1 inch too short; what do I do?

My tub-stretcher was in the shop for an upgrade; I’m having a new toilet-squeezer fitted. If it fits, I sits!
  15. JanSolo

Hello again, wise plumbing masters! Here's an update on my bathroom project! As mentioned above, my bathroom was 1 inch too wide for my bath. Everybody suggested widening the wall by 1 inch using furring strips or sistered studs. Well that's what I did. I made a little 'guide' with a 1 x 1...
  16. JanSolo

First time plumbing a shower. How did I do?

Thanks! I did use the Go NoGo thingy... it did fit into the slot, but not all the way in. That's how it should be, correct?
  17. JanSolo

Delta says that the TubSpout must be at least 8 inches upto 18 inches. I'm right at 18 for my spout, so I should be fine.
  18. JanSolo

The pipe is HomeDepots finest Sharkbite brand. No idea if that’s good or not. I did buy a few supports to try out. Didn’t end up using them because it ‘felt’ like like I didn’t need em. If you’re recommending that I do use em, I’ll put em in for sure. Thanks Terry! Valve is at 4foot...
  19. JanSolo

Hello again, o wise plumbing masters! I'm continuing with my bathroom project and today, I tackled the new shower plumbing. It's a normal Delta shower with tub-spout. I used PEX for most of it; but I had to do some copper sweat connections too. It's my first time doing sweat and PEX, so let's...
  20. JanSolo

Is it better to put strips over the studs or to attach new studs to the sides of the existing ones like this:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks