Search results

1. D C

High Flow (15gpm) Softener Recommendations?

Building a house for my son and DIL. They just got their well pump installed (15gpm) and well-water test results back (25 grains hardness, 0.5ppm iron). Would like to find a softener setup that can handle the flow rate without issue and the hardness, keeping in mind that it's 2 of them now...
  2. D C

Jammed Fleck 5810SXT (w/video)

I noticed that there was an excess of water in the brine tank, almost up to the overflow, despite only 2 bags of salt being in it. Initiated a recharge and instead of a backwash, I got a partial rotation of the gears, some sort of beep, a grunt from the motor, and a partial reversal. Pressing...
  3. D C

Is this a problem....?

Had to share this.... My brother lives in a 1960s ranch, municipal water & sewer. Little known about the history before he bought it <2 years ago, except that it's been 'remodeled' and has a basement bathroom and laundry and plumbing issues. We were over there at thanksgiving and he was talking...
  4. D C

Drain/Vent Layout - New Const

2.5 bath house Main floor master & 1/2 bath 2nd floor full bath The master seems straightforward: WC downstream of shower, downstream of tub, downstream of lavs. Wet vent a big loop and run the vent up & out at the lavs. The 1/2 bath is a WC with the lav wet-vented (I think, depending on the...
  5. D C

Basement Bath - Stubbing for Future with Crock/Lift Pump

I'm about to stub in a basement bath for my son's new build. Seeing as how there isn't a lot to do while waiting for lumber prices to relax, we might as well tackle the basement bath. The important stuff... Location: Michigan 3 Piece full bath. Roughly 5' x 9' Septic outlet height requires...
  6. D C

Standing Water in Brine Tank. How much?

I set-up my softener based on some recommendations on the forum. My brine tank is 18" diameter x ~40" tall. I can load about three 40# bags of salt before any of the salt breaks the surface of the water. It's low on salt now and there's about a foot of water in the bottom of the tank. That...
  7. D C

FLeck 5810 SXT Settings Help Request

I suppose I'll jump on the bandwagon of people asking for setting advice. We've been in our house a bit over a year now, and it seems like the softener is slowly becoming less effective. When we moved in and installed the softener, my wife actually asked if water could be TOO soft. Not...
  8. D C

High Flow Softener?

Shopping for a softener for my new house and am looking for recommendations Grains per gallon: 20.5 Iron: 1 ppm Well is a 1.5hp constant pressure Grundfos coming in on a 1.25" main Main line through house is 1" PEX Master bath has a party shower with 4 heads Upstairs has 2 additional bathrooms...
  9. D C

Kerdi & Laticrete Membranes - Do they play nice together?

I'm building a new house and have 3 bathrooms to finish. I have some leftover Kerdi pieces from a remodel in my last house (corners, opening seals, a niche I didn't use). In my shopping I've found that the Laticrete membrane is lower priced than the Kerdi and seems to be equally as good. Is...
  10. D C

LONG Distance to shower. Best option?

New construction. All electric. No gas. No propane. 400 Amp service to the house. Wide ranch with the master bath on one end of the house, 2 additional beds/baths on the other end of the house, upstairs over the garage. Primary water heater is in the basement, very close to the master bath...
  11. D C

Conduit Underground from House to Garage (+water)

I'm planning on running both electric and water to my detached garage, about 75-100' total run. I have a single 4" diameter hole in my basement wall that both feeds are going through. The electric will be 100-200 Amp (haven't decided) and the water will be a single 3/4" PEX line. It'll run...
  12. D C

Foundation Drain to Sump - Code Rqmts?

New Construction in Michigan which has adopted IRC 2015, and I believe the 2015 plumbing code as well. I have appropriate drain tile on the outside of the basement walls with leader pipes coming through the footing, as is normal. Going to run them to a sump and up and out, as per normal...
  13. D C

New Well - How much gpm should I need?

New well for new construction. I've got quotes from 2 companies, both of which are quoting 5" wells, which are typical in the area. I expect the well to be 100-150' deep based on others in the area. I've been offered a 3/4 hp pump at 10 gpm, or an upgrade to a 1 hp of unknown flow rate. My...
  14. D C

One Well Servicing House and Outbuilding (New Const)

I'm planning a new construction project and want to educate myself on how things should be done. I'll have a house and an outbuilding garage, both new and a new well, and would like to have both served by the same well. What is the proper way to approach this? Multiple pressure tanks...
  15. D C

Outdoor Tee Upstream or Downstream of Pressure Tank?

I'm in the planning stages of moving my pressure tank to a different location in my house, along with the pressure switch. They're currently in the under-porch room that I'm turning into a wine cellar, and that room lacks a drain. So in order to free up room and prevent damage in the event of...
  16. D C

Descaling Techniques?

I have a Takagi TK1 that's been in use for several years, so descaling is on my to-do list. In principle, it's simple. Recirculate descaling solution through the unit, let it sit for some period, flush. In practice, what's the best way to do that? Is there a preferred (low cost)...
  17. D C

Toilet Venting - Distance to vent

New construction, small cottage with one bathroom, stubbed for a second bath in the basement, 3" main stack going from basement to roof. The toilet flange is about 8' from the main vent stack. Is it close enough to not require its own vent? Can it be vented with 1-1/2 instead of 2...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks